Monday, July 25, 2005

Lance Armstrong

So Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France again. I'm happy for him. Winning 7 times in a row is very hard to do. He is amazing considering all the obstacles he’s overcome what with the cancer and being born with an enlarged heart. Good job Lance.

But as for being a hero, I just don’t know. You know, the sport being bicycling and all. See, biking isn’t all that cool. I don't know too many people who line up for cycling tickets. Nor do you hear about someone throwing a Tour De France party (a la Superbowl party). Truthfully, I even wonder how someone gets interested enough to want to compete in a bicycling event. But that's just me.

Also, the name Lance. It's kind of weird name, not a hero name. I've heard about people who go to the Doctor to have him 'lance a boil'. Yuck. A lance is also a weapon. Remember when Bugs Bunny was tossed back in time to medieval England and that knight captured him with his lance? "Avast, ye varmit! Thou art the prisoner of me’lance." That was great.

The only Lance hero I ever knew of was Lancelot Link. That dude was a hero!

Maybe I'm missing the boat or something. I dunno. But a bicyclist just doesn't cut it with me in the hero book. I admire him for what he's accomplished and all that. He has overcome a lot to be the best pedaler around. I guess I just don't see the allure of the Tour De France.

One thing I really admire though; he's got one of the sweetest girlfriends anyone could ever want. (Sheryl Crow, for those of you who don't know.) Now that is cool! For that, I could give him a little hero worship. But again, that's just me.

No comments: