Saturday, July 16, 2005

Pennies From Heaven

On my way to Starbuck’s this morning I stopped at the grocery store for something. When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed these 2 really old babes walking really, really slowly toward the store. I didn’t think anything about it. As I got out and headed to the front door, I heard one of them squealing very loudly. My first thought was “Oh no, one of them has fallen or is having a heart attack or something!” So I hurry around the Jeep to see what was wrong and I see one lady still squealing while she picks up something from the ground. She turns to her companion and happily declares, “It’s a whole quarter! And it was even on heads!”

Well, that just cracked me up! I had to turn away and start walking again so they didn’t see me laughing. Somehow, I found that adorable. I guess I’m not alone in the old superstition about finding coins heads up. I’ve been known to let quarters lie when I’ve found them tails up. No sense in tempting fate.

As I entered the store I looked back to see the lucky babe showing her friend the quarter. The second woman was looking at it like it was gold or something. These two obviously weren’t poor or anything, judging from their dress, but that lucky quarter sure was something special to them. I guess they aren’t the kind to take ‘pennies from heaven’ for granted.

No comments: