Friday, July 15, 2005

Welcome To BS Friday

Yep, it's BS Friday again. The object is to write something, anything, any length and see if anyone can figure out if it is truth or fiction. Here's my week 2 story:

My one trip to Key West was so much fun. I had such a kick ass time I can't possibly relay all the details here. The highlight for me was actually one very early morning. I was still in the party spirit but all my friends were still asleep. I decided I needed a morning snack and maybe a little 'hair of the dog' to chase the cobwebs away. Next thing I knew, after wandering around for a while, I found myself walking into Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville.

The place was pretty much empty. Just a few people. It was early. I went to the bar, ordered a breakfast sandwich and a morning Beefeater & Tonic, with a slice of lime, thank you very much. As I sat and sipped my G&T, I heard someone picking a guitar. Well, anyone picking a guitar around me is like a moth finding a flame in the total darkness, so I walked toward the back of the place to see who it was.

I was a little disappointed when I got back there at first because it was some old, scraggly looking guy with what looked to be a pretty well used acoustic. I should say ragged out acoustic guitar. He ignored me as I sat at a table next to him and kept on playing.

Soon I realized that looks really can be deceiving. That old guitar sounded great. Not only that, but the guy knew how to play. He just kept playing for some time, very clean and sweet. If I was a woman, I might have fallen in love. (Yeah, live music has that effect on me.)

Suddenly the guy stopped playing and looked right at me. He said "It's gettin cold there pal." I had no freakin idea what that meant and I just said "Huh?" He smiled and said "That sandwich is gettin cold. Better eat it up." Then he went back to playing. I looked at the table and my breakfast had been delivered along with a new G&T. Is that a classy place or what? I sat and scarfed quickly and when I was done I told the guy I was impressed. That he was really good with the guitar. He thanked me and we got into a discussion about music and styles and he even let me play that old guitar a little. He was really a cool guy.

Eventually, all good things must come to an end. I had to leave. I told him that I really appreciated his time and that I'd like to come back and buy him a brew later. He thanked me and said I should come back that night because after he was done playing there he would be travelling for a few weeks. I reached out to shake his hand and said, "Oh by the way, I'm Bob." He smiled and said , "Nice to meet you Bobby. I'm Jimmy."

I just stood there like a dope. How did I miss that one? I had been sitting there hanging with Jimmy Buffet, talking music and even playing his guitar! Suddenly I didn't know what to say. Apparently he had seen this reaction before so he smiled, patted me on the back and told me to come back that night with my friends, everything on him.

We did just that and had an unbelievable night. From then on I was an even bigger Jimmy Buffet fan.

No comments: