Friday, February 17, 2006

BS Friday

Welcome once again to BS Friday. You know the drill, I’ll write it and you tell me if it’s true or just plain old BS. Today’s post is called: Slut For A Night


A few years ago I was invited to go to a friend’s 5 year high school reunion. She and her fiancé (who happened to be my best friend) were going. It wasn’t the big formal wing-ding. In this area the reunions span a whole 3 day weekend. The first night to kick things off they start out with a social gathering at one of the local bars. It’s a nice place, a bit upscale. Back in those days I never turned down a party invite and the people at the reunion got their first 2 drinks free, so off we went, straight from work.

When we got there we had to sign in to get our name tags and our free drink coupons. My friends signed in and when they got to me and asked my name, I told them the truth; I was just tagging along. The girl doing the name badges laughed and said I must be a party slut. I told her that she had no idea how accurate that was. Then, since it was a private thing, my friend BS’d them and told them I had graduated with them. They asked my name again and I was about to tell them when the girl reached out and stuck a name badge onto my chest. All it said was ‘The Slut’. We all got a kick out of that and she started making a new one but I stopped her. I told her I’d just keep the ‘true’ one.

That became the highlight of the party. You see, it had occurred to me that I had a very unique opportunity. I was at a party where not too many people really knew me. They all had been drinking for a couple of hours before we arrived and they all had name badges. Real ones. The light bulb in my head told me that this had all the makings of a great evening. Besides, I got free drinks. Gotta love that.

So we mingled. I truthfully don’t remember all the conversations I had but that name tag sure got me noticed. I do remember bumping into this one guy and I started acting like I had known him all my life. His name was Kevin (name badges are cool!) and when we bumped I said “Hey Kevin! It’s been a long time bud!” He looked me over and laughed at my name badge then mentioned that I didn’t look familiar. I said, “C’mon man. Don’t you remember that party around Homecoming? We had a blast!” (I knew everybody partied around Homecoming) He said “Do you mean that bonfire? Out at 'so and so’ field?” Me; “Yeah, now you’ve got it. I was worried that you had forgotten that night.” And so the conversation went. He ‘remembered’ all the crazy stuff we had done together. He remembered a lot of stuff that obviously didn’t happen but it sure sounded like fun. I'm sorry I missed it. ;)

Later I was at the bar and there was a beautiful blond girl nearby. I looked over and said “Hey Cindi.” She looked at me like she didn’t know me. Surprise! :) I said, “You don’t remember me do you? All those years in the same school and all the times we partied together. I’m bummed.” She got all sympathetic and said she was sorry but she didn’t remember me. I said “Don’t you remember that time at Tammy and Brenda’s party? When that guy had treated you so bad?” (I had seen her talking to those 2 mutual friends of ours. She didn’t know me but we did know them. I just guessed that some guy had treated her badly.) She said “That was you?” I smiled and said, “Yep that was me. I think it’s the beard throwing you off. I didn’t have it in school. Besides, I wouldn’t forget you. No one else in school spelled Cindi with an I.” That did it. Instantly she and I were long lost friends and she had missed me soooo much. We spent quite a bit of time ‘catching up’ and eventually I got her number.

That was how the whole evening went. I floated in and out of ‘old friends’ lives all night. I got a few numbers. I had many many free drinks. Sometimes people really didn’t remember me and that was OK. There were plenty of people who did. I felt right at home. The friends who brought me there got a huge kick out of ‘The Party Slut’. Still to this day the story comes up when get together. I’m famous for knowing no one but everyone. What a slut.

No comments: