Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Final Dentist Visit, For Now

My trip to the Dentist on Valentine's Day was interesting. Interesting in that it was vey quick and not what I had expected. Did everyone but me know that in order to get a tooth fixed and capped it takes 3 seperate visits? I didn't know that and when I mention it to someone they look at me like I'm a dope. In defense of me, it was my first cap/crown... whatever you want to call it.

So after all the previous visits that took at least 45 minutes to an hour, this time I was in and out in less than 30. 15 minutes in the chair. It was pretty anti-climactic. I was kind of disappointed in a way. At least I didn't get those damn needles in my gums again.

The best part of the visit was when the Dental assistant and the Dentist were talking about when the first X-Ray in history was done. The Assistant was sure that it was performed in 1492. The Dentist told her that she had X-Rays and Columbus mixed up. But she kept insisting that the first one was done in 1492. The Dentist was getting a little flustered. I was trying not to laugh and for a change it wasn't too hard for me. I had a mouth full of gauzy stuff so I managed. But it was funny.

For the record, the first XRay was accidentally done on 8 Nov, 1895, by Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen. The whole thing took off from there. The Doc was very close in his estimate. The Assistant must not have realized that XRays need electricity. The whole thing was funny but made me a bit wary of her messing around with my teeth. What else does she have misconstrued?

Does everyones Dentist also give you crap about flossing? Mine does. But I have never flossed. Ever. If I needed to, wouldn't I have seen some kind of difficulty before now? I think so. That's what I told them. The Doc didn't really know what to say to that so I take it as a victory for me. I have only two problem teeth and they are the same two that eventually everyone has break down when they get older. I'm not worried.

So I'm finally done with the Dentist. For now at least. In 6 months, we'll see. Maybe I'll just wait another 4 years before going back again.

No comments: