Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I Am Consistent

Tonight I stopped for gas on the way home. There were these two older gents talking at the pumps next to me and they were quite annoying. They were the kind that obviously knew something about everything and they were really going at it. Real loud preaching type stuff about the government, war… all kinds of things. They had all the answers.

It was really irritating me. I have had quite a few long days and I’m a little punchy.
So they started inside to pay (who doesn’t pay at the pump anymore?) still jabbering real loud and out of nowhere I hear a voice say “Would you just shut the f&%$ up!” Funny, that voice sure sounded familiar.

Yeah, it was mine.

The one guy sort of paused and glanced my way but thankfully they kept going. I breathed a sigh of relief. I really didn’t want to be a jerk to total strangers. I was happy that I got away with that one. I thought I had anyway.

As I pumped my gas in silence I thought I heard someone giggling. I turned to investigate the sound and that’s when I realized that I hadn’t checked out the pump directly behind me. I peeked around the corner and was surprised to see a really old woman finishing up with her gas purchase. She was still giggling a little but when I peeked around the corner she full out laughed at me. I just smiled and went back to my side.

At least she found it amusing and didn’t give me a speech about my bad manners.

No comments: