Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fat Tuesday?

I woke up this morning and realized that I didn't really know what Fat Tuesday was. All these years with the awesome might of the internet at my fingertips I never took the time to find out. I knew that Mardi Gras was a big ass party but I still didn't get what Fat Tuesday was all about.

My first thought was "Is it this?"





Then I remembered it was a party so I thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be spelled 'FAT' but maybe 'PHAT'. That brought this to mind:




And this:



Now that is PHAT!

I figured that couldn't be right, even if I wanted it that way, so I decided to go ahead and do some research to find out just what it was all about. Imagine my surprise when I found out this:

"Mardi Gras Day is also know as Fat or Shrove Tuesday. In the not so distant past, this day was something of a "last call" before the expected reflection and abstinence of the Christian Lenten season."

Huh! Go figure. Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras are one and the same. It is the time to let loose before being sorry for letting loose. Drunken debauchery before chastity? Weird thought, eh? I had no idea that I already had the idea... or whatever I was trying to say there. So actually today is the first day of Mardi Gras. OK, now I get it. So it really is this:





But I'll tell ya, I sure am glad that Fat Tuesday is not this:






And here is a warning for all those larger people at Mardi Gras who have a little too much to drink:




No bungee jumping!


Happy Fat Tuesday everyone.

No comments: