Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Music Variety Is Cool

Yesterday on the way home when I turned on the radio the song "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas had just come on. I happen to like that song so I left the station on. Next they played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Naturally, I had to hear that one too. I love Nirvana.

I started feeling like I might just be able to let this station play all the way home.

Next song that came on was "Blister In The Sun" by The Violent Femmes. I hadn't heard that one in a while. I remember I once really liked the Femmes.

Again, I was impressed with the station. Then came the commercial break. It lasted forever. One of those 10 minute breaks. (Or it just seemed like 10 minutes anyway.) Then the DJ came back and talked for too long and when he finally played the next song it was "Reminiscing" by the Little River Band. It nauseated me. I was sad because I thought I could leave the station on for a while. Then he played "Glory Of Love" by Peter Cetera and I had had enough. Time to search the dial.

I was lucky that I had turned the station on when I did I guess. How come a station can play good stuff for a while and then turn back into a crap station again? No wonder they put the radio controls on the steering wheel these days. I like variety but I don't like cry-baby music. Unless it's a quiet, romantic setting and we're getting close and cuddly..... you know the scene..... who pays attention to the music then anyway?

No comments: