Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Frankenstein Trucks Are Real!

I'm back! I didn't have time this morning for a blog session. Nicci is sick and I had to make sure she was OK before I went to work. Sorry but some things take precedence over the blog. Shocking, I know!

The second day was about the same as the first. Nothing too interesting to tell. But of course, here's something weird...

On the way home I got behind this super slow poke driver in an old beat up Ford truck. One of those little ones. As I followed him I noticed that his cap would wobble kinda funny when he hit a bump. When he turned a corner, it leaned way over. More so than the truck. Naturally I had to investigate.

Since he was such a slowpoke, I just ran up close to his bumper and there was the answer. He had attached that cap to the bed by screwing some of those hydraulic type of things to the bumper. They were those things that hold a window up or some small car hoods open. The top was screwed into the cap and the bottom was screwed onto the bumper. It did not look safe.

Soon I got to look more closely and I saw that the cap was actually parts from several caps put together. The back window was even an old screen door window cut to size. (Yes, I am serious!) I had to see more so I passed him the first chance I got and checked out his handy-work as I went by. That cap looked like a version of Frankenstein made for trucks. And it wobbled the whole time. He had attached the front of it the same way, with those hydraulic things.

I got to see the driver and I wasn't surprised. He looked to be about 105 years old and like he was a total do-it-yourselfer. Including his clothes and that weird hat he had on. It looked like an old straw farmer's hat but the top was gone. His head was sticking out of it. He had these huge knuckles that he gripped the wheel with so tight they were white. As I went by, he looked over and nodded. One of those quick, one nod kinda nods. So I nodded back.

After seeing the rest of the truck and all the beautiful engineering that went into it's design, I was happy that I had passed him. I was sure that parts of the thing were just going to start flying off and I didn't want to be behind him when they did.

It was easily the weirdest conglomeration I've seen on the road. But it did make me smile. For that (and for getting by him safely) I am grateful. :)

No comments: