Sunday, November 13, 2005

I Really Must Be Behind

I watched one of those countdown shows on VH1 recently and it made me realize that I have to be a bit behind the pop-culture thing somehow. It was a countdown of the 100 Greatest Moments in Entertainment or something like that. I just either didn’t feel like some of the things were all that great or I just never bothered to see some of the stuff they claimed were so awesome because I thought they looked boring.

I saw a few things I totally agreed with, like when Sheriff Brody saw the shark (Jaws) for the first time and it scared him. All he could say was “I think we need a bigger boat.” Great moment. And the moment at the end of Gone With the Wind; “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” I even agreed with the Thriller album and the video being super cool. I can’t stand Michael Jackson, but that moment in time was all his and it was great.

Some stuff I didn’t get were moments like the spot in the movie ET when they apparently flew on bicycles. I never saw ET. I never even had the inclination to see it. It just looks stupid to me.

I also never saw the Godfather. None of them. They are movies I would like to see someday, but I’m not too worried if I don’t. I’ve also never seen Scarface all the way through even though I’ve always intended to. I don’t care for much, if anything, Disney and I think Survivor is stupid.

I have mentioned several times before how I really don’t get the whole Beatles thing either. (Yes Cindy Lou, I know you love them.) I just don’t think they were all that great. They were better separately. Of course they are now promoting Paul McCartney’s new album that I’m sure will be a major yawn-fest. He’s been boring since the 70’s. I think he needs to retire permanently.

Maybe I’m a goof or something but they ranked the movie “The Titanic” above the scene where Luke finds out that Darth Vader is his father. I don’t think so! How can that be more awesome? I knew the boat sank even before going to see the movie. They ranked Michael Jackson’s moon-walking on TV above the Seinfeld episode “The Contest”. Please! (Are you master of your domain?)

Oh well, I know it’s all subjective and everyone has their own opinions. Maybe I’m not so much into the pop-culture scene as I thought I was. Maybe that isn’t a bad thing. Maybe I just shouldn’t watch these darn ‘100 Greatest’ shows anymore since I get so confused as to how they rank them anyway.

No comments: