Thursday, August 05, 2004

Modern Media Sucks!

Does anyone actually like the way the modern media operates? For instance, here in Baltimore there is one of the greatest swimmers ever, quite possibly the best ever named Michael Phelps. I hope he wins all 8 gold medals at the Olympics and sets a few new records to boot. (Breaking his own records in the process.) But all the hype is driving me nuts! Constantly in the news, every medium, are stories about his past, present & hopeful future. His endorsement deals, his coaches, his routines, his training schedule and methods, interviews with kids at swim meets, his underwear size and brand. (Just kidding. That may come soon, though.) Now his family is in the spotlight. Actually, this is one of the better stories inside the whole hype thing, but it's just too much! Give the guy a break! He's training for the Olympics. How can he be focused on winning if there is some goober in his face asking stupid things like, 'What about Ian Thorpe?' What's he supposed to say? 'Gee, I hope he doesn't beat me?'

This is just one example. I think our media types go way too far invading people's personal space. I think the American Hype Machine puts too much pressure on individuals and sometimes helps them fail. I hope Michael is immune to the added pressure. At this rate, by the time he gets to Athens, he will be expected to win every race or some will consider it all a failure. No one can win 10 medals in 8 races, but after all the hullaballooo, isn't that what we all expect?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the media hype is also too much. What about all the hype about the Olympic track stars? All of our track representatives are competitors for medals (almost every 4 years!). Then, come to find out a majority are on drugs. Now what happens to the hype and the "feel good" stories? I don't feel very proud to know that "my" Olympians are all on drugs. I am quite disappointed to say the least. I'd rather NOT know their stories if they are abusing the system, and getting sucked into the popularity of being a star.