Friday, August 20, 2004

Whats in a Name?

I have been wondering how people choose names for their children. Sometimes you hear someones name and you wonder WTF? Other times you feel like someones name really suits them. Most names are kind of 'just there'. I know you can't predict what kind of personality the kid will have, but how do you choose a name? Do you pick one hoping for a certain personality type or do you just pick one because you like it?

For example, I have a friend named Susie. Susan is her given name, but everyone calls her Susie. Her name makes me think of a happy, bubbly, fun person. The 'life of the party' kind of person. It definitely suits her. Another friend I have is Jamey. That name makes me think of a laid back, everythings cool, everybodys friend kind of person. Definitely suits him.

But what are people thinking when they name their kid something like Blanche? When you blanche at something, doesn't that mean it has grossed you out? I think you can blanche veggies, too. (Whatever that is.) And how about Agatha? Brings to mind a mean old spinster. I can't stand flower names either. Rose, Daisy etc..... Those seem like a cheap cop out. Easy to pick. And now we have kids names Dweezil, Apple, Star, on and on......

I think you have to be careful when naming someone after a famous person or something. Like the name Steve. Makes me think of Steve McQueen, one of the coolest guys ever. I know two people named Steve, but they sure aren't Steve McQueen. One is cool in his own way, but the other is no where near cool. The name Eddie makes me think of Eddie Murphy. What if the Eddie you meet isn't funny?

Then there are the goofy associations you get from names. Charles makes me think of Charles from MASH. Remember Seinfeld talking about naming a kid Jeeves? I've never met a Jeeves before, but I'm sure most are Butlers. I'd like to meet a person named Gilligan. I've seen these: Russel Sprout, Ramsey Cox, Amber Glass, Valen Tine, Sunday and Summer Street, Robin Banks, Al Duerr (pronounced do-her), I knew someone named Mary Treat, her middle name was Love. I'm not making these up. These are all real.

I don't believe a name makes a person, but I think a name that suits someone is a neat coincidence. I used to think my name was lame, but now I'm not so sure. I'm a Gemini, one of those people with 2 personalities inside. (I've been told that this definitely suits me). My name goes along with that idea. Bob. B-O-B See, you can't tell if I spelled it forward or backward, can you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you about your thoughts on the name thing suiting people. Like the name Beth. When I hear the name Beth, it makes me thing of a warm, caring, generous person. Yes? The name Susie makes me thing the same things that you've said about that name but you haven't lived with a Susie yet, have you? LOL

peachy said...

I think people pick names based on people they know with that name. If you have a bad experience with a guy named Brett (he had the driest hands in square dancing class), you're not going to choose that name for your kid. If you love Brett Favre, you might pick that as a name.
I knew a girl named Brooke, and she was just awesome. I have thought about naming my kid Brooke, but who knows when the time comes.
I laughed at the Steve thing. *wink wink