Saturday, August 07, 2004

Stuff I Just Don't Get

These are some things I just don't get. This may become a regular theme because daily I find myself wondering..........

- Being a fan of a baseball team other than the Yankees

Of course this would be first on my list! Let's face it, there is the New York Yankees and there are 29 other teams trying to live up to their standard.

- Those super sized pants

I see a lot of younger people wearing pants so big they are walking down the street holding them up with one hand. What's the point of that? It can't be comfortable. It doesn't look good and it sure looks inconvenient having to hold them up. Usually they are accompanied by a super sized shirt that has to be raised so they can hold onto the pants.

- Those Giant Platform Shoes Women Wear

I cringe every time I see a teenage girl trying to walk in those shoes that have 5 – 6” soles. They look like they are going to fall flat on their faces. Very few women can wear these things gracefully. Is this one of those recurring fashion items from the 1970’s? I was too young to notice it then, I guess.


- Bill Clinton

Aside from the obvious character flaws that a lot of people choose to ignore, this guy is kinda stupid too. I bet if I was holding the most powerful and prestigious office in the world, I could figure out that you can’t really escape scrutiny. Besides which, Monica Lewinski? Sheesh. What bugs me the most is, this guy is still hanging around the spotlight making big bucks. Let’s see, he was caught lying. He was disbarred. He brought great embarrassment to the country. He was impeached. The American selective memory loss in action?

- Genuine Rednecks

I think it must be easier to be a redneck. You don’t have to bathe regularly. Haircuts and shaving are optional. Don’t have to treat women with respect. ("Shoot, ther only good fer one thang anyways!’) Don’t have to have a good command of the English language. All you have to do is ‘Be proud to be a Redneck!’ Also, patriotism is a must. Defending the trailer park at all costs is the biggest priority.

- Modern Art

Not long ago I went to the National Museum of Art in Washington D.C. (It’s one of my favorite places.) I was in the Modern Art section and there was this huge painting (?) that took up a whole wall, and it was all white. There wasn’t anything on it. Just a very large canvas painted white. The tour guide (I wasn’t in the tour) actually stopped the tour in front of this white canvas and gave a 5-minute soliloquy on it. I’m an art lover and I try hard to understand any form of expression, but I think I missed the boat on this particular item.

- Modern ‘Lingo’

Like Gangsta , Ho, Fly and Tight. Not long ago being a gangster or like one was bad. So was being a ‘Ho’. Now guys are looking for Ho’s. Sometimes they say hookers, too. Fly? I have no idea what the origin of this one is. Recently I walked by a couple guys at work and they told me my new shirt was ‘tight’. I didn’t wear it again until I found out that it was a compiment.

No comments: