Friday, September 30, 2005

BS Friday

Welcome to BS Friday once again. I post it and you tell me if it is true or just a big ol pile of BS. Today's post is called: Evil Knievel Wannabees

When I was a kid BMX Bicycle racing was just becoming a big thing. In my neighborhood, you would have thought it was always a big thing. It was a lifestyle. Everyone would build their own bikes and race everyone else and build ramps and jump over stuff or jump over people. Jumping over people without a ramp (we called it "hopping", I don't know what it's called today) was exciting. I once even jumped over the back of a tractor trailer, but that's a subject for another time.

Anyway, it got to the point that the 'dudes' who were considered the best in the neighborhood would keep trying to think up ways to outdo one another. (Note the aforementioned jump of the tractor trailer). There were many ridiculous plans and actual stunt attempts done by insanely unaware kids. We were all sure that we were invulnerable, you know. No thought to injury ever popped into our heads.

One day a bunch of us were cruising the dirt roads along the river when one of my friends stopped suddenly and just stared at the water. When we all came back to him we weren't at all surprised to hear him say that he thought he could jump over the water. "Easy", he said. Now, you'd have to know this guy to understand what that simple little word meant. When he said "Easy" it simply meant that he was going to do it. No discussion. No concern. It just was going to happen. The problem was that the river was quite wide and on the opposite side from us was a construction company. The bank was big chunks of stone most of the way up. There was a pile of gravel at the top of the bank about 10 yards from the edge. The edge to the bank was gravel too. If he made the jump, the landing would be interesting, to say the least. Assuming he made the jump.

Funny thing was, none of us even gave it a second thought. We all considered it a cool idea and accepted it without question. So we got to work.

We built a ramp out of our stash of old plyboard. We kept a bunch of ramp building materials handy at all times. We cleared the path to the ramp of as many obstacles as possible. It took several hours to get it done and ready, but we were pros by this time.

The time finally came for the stunt. Mr. Fearless rode across the field. We were all waiting at the edge of the river. Like guys do, we were all betting on the outcome. "Hey, I bet these 2 pieces of Bubblicious he crashes!" "OK, I'll bet my Chuckles on that." "Hey, I want in on this. I've got some Atomic Fireballs." (We all wanted the Fireballs!)

Well, the bets were made, the time had come and Mr., Fearless started his run toward the ramp. He picked up speed and became a streak against the evening sky as we all waited to see how this would turn out. He got closer and closer and when he got to the ramp for a split second I remember thinking "Geez, I hope he doesn't land ON the rocky bank." Good time to think about that, I guess.

He hit the ramp and we all held our breath as he took to the air. Deathly silence surrounded us as he floated into space. For a moment I was thrilled as he seemed to float in mid air. Then I realized that he shouldn't be floating, he should be progressing across. He seemed to float and then he went straight down into the middle of the river with a giant splash. Everyone roared with laughter as he landed and then struggled to keep hold of his bike and get back out.

I looked over at the ramp and saw that it was now laying flat on the ground. That explained it. Turns out that the jumpers brother had set the ramp to fall as soon as it was hit. That way he was sure to get wet. Mr. Fearless never had a chance. It was awesome!

Needless to say, I began checking ramps when it was my turn to be crazy. I didn't mind the joke though. I won a couple of Atomic Fireballs and no one got hurt.

No comments: