Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Running Late

I just got in to work, an hour and a half late. There was an accident on the highway and I got caught up in the traffic. One of those kamakazi dump truck drivers rolled his giant Indy Racer on the road and dumped a full load of sand everywhere.

What's weird about these things for me is how pissed I get when I see the results. I get pissed because most of the time the driver is being an ass. Then other people pay for his assholiness. (Now theres a word.) I've seen enough of these dump truck maniacs to be able to make an educated guess as to how his truck got trashed like that. He was probably doing between 80 and 90 mph, weaving around traffic and misjudged the combinations of the slight curve, the slight downhill grade and the potential of his load to shift too much.

Traffic will be screwed up for hours now. That truck was totalled. This brings me to the point where I feel bad for getting so pissy. The driver had to be injured. Maybe severely. There was no room left in that cab for a person. It was mashed.

So I get to where I can finally go around the mess, totally pissed because some idiot has ruined my schedule and I see the mangled remains of what once was a big dump truck. Now I feel bad for being so pissy about my schedule when that driver obviously has some more serious worries. But he probably brought those on himself. There's my conumdrum. Be selfish and stay mad or be more forgiving and hope for the health of the driver?

Oh well, that's my morning so far. I hope the driver is OK. I hope he learned something from this accident. I also hope he's well enough to suffer a bit for screwing everyone else this morning.

No comments: