Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Welcome To The Neighborhood

Lately I feel like I'm part of the Ozzie and Harriet show or something. The neighborhood we moved into is so far and away different from our old one that it seems surreal sometimes.

Our first day there, before we had moved everything in, we had 2 visits from neighbors just to say hi. The second evening we had a couple drop by to introduce themselves and bring us homemade grape jelly. Now, if you knew how much I love grape jelly, you would know how that affected me. Sweet! Later that evening a couple from across the street stopped in to say hi. The big surprise there was that they were from South Africa. Just like Nicci. What are the odds?

We have had a steady stream of new neighbors stopping by to introduce themselves. Not to mention, everyone who drives past the house waves. They don't even know us, but they wave. I've gotten used to it so I just wave back. Sometimes I even wave first.

This weekend was the best yet. Over the weekend a neighbor lady came over to introduce herself and brought us an apple pie she made from scratch. It is yummy! She said she was making a couple of them for her family and she thought maybe we'd like one too. Then, later when I was mowing, the neighbor man from behing us drove up on his riding mower and helped me. Then he stopped his mower and introduced himself. I've never heard of someone doing something like that! It's a rather large yard and I sure didn't mind, but that was a little unusual.

It is an old neighborhood. Everyone tells us that the turnover there is almost non-existant. Most people buy their houses and live there until they die. I feel like I'm in some Twilight Zone episode or something. Coming from a city type mentality to a super-friendly neighborhood like this is a bit of a shock. But I'm not complaining. So far, it's been pretty nice.

Kinda makes me worried for my neighbors though. If they only knew me better.....

No comments: