Friday, January 06, 2006

BS Friday

Welcome once again to BS Friday. I'll write it, you tell me if it is truth or just plain old BS. This weeks post is called: Beauty is Skin Deep

Have you ever worked really hard to meet someone and then been so disappointed that you did? I have. Truthfully, that has happened to me quite a few times. I think I am incapable of believing that the object of my attention is human until I find out that they are.

I once had a huge crush on someone who I thought, no wait, I knew that they had to be cool to hang with. She was someone who I was introduced to when she dated one of my friends. My first warning should have been that she was dating that guy for longer than a month, (he was a womanizing jerk) but as I've mentioned many times, I miss details a lot.

The reason I was so infatuated in the first place was the obvious thing that gets a guy in his early 20's, she was beautiful. She was about 5'6" tall, long black hair and bright blue eyes and she was fantastically physically fit, shall we say. Anyone who knows me knows that I have weaknesses but none more so than a woman with black hair and blue eyes. (Red heads are close.)

She was gorgeous and this should have been something I noticed too; nobody stayed with her too long. Not even my womanizing friend who had introduced us. But all I saw was the hotness. So when I heard that she was single (again), I took the opportunity to track her down and 'get to know her'.

I went to a popular hangout where I knew she would be and I worked my way into a conversation with her. At first, it was fun. We talked for a while, all flirty and stuff and then I started noticing a pattern. A couple of them actually. I noticed that she was one of those types that complain about everything. Nothing suited her and no one could do much of anything right in her eyes. Even the rose guy was a dork to her. You know that guy, the one who walks through the bar selling roses to people. He stopped by our table and asked if I wanted to buy one for 'my lady'. I chuckled and got one for her. When I gave it to her, she acted like I had done a horrible thing. "How dare that guy assume that she was with me?"

She also was very critical of people, even if she didn't really know someone. For example, one girl she saw was wearing something she said didn't match, so instantly that girl was a skank. She was also pretty critical of some or our mutual friends, telling me her version of stories that I knew couldn't be right.

The best part about her was when she started talking about herself. (Best for me because I found it very amusing and enlightening.) She made mention of how every guy in the world wanted her. She mentioned how she should "run for Miss America" (her term) because she knew she could win. "Beauty is the #1 thing after all." (Her words again.) She told me how everyone wanted to be her friend and how she was the most popular girl in town... yada yada yada...

Then she started talking about me doing her portrait. She knew I was into doing faces and that I had done several for other people. She was convinced that I should "...immortalize her face while she was still totally in her prime".

By this time I just wanted to be away from her. I could see now why she never stayed with anyone very long. She was so into herself that, in her reality, no one else really existed. Eventually I managed to take my leave of her.

When I said my goodbyes, promising to call her about the portrait idea, (yeah, right) I noticed that she really didn't look as good to me any more. It was a big disappointment getting to know her.

Sometimes I think fantasies are better left in fantasy land. Reality really does bite sometimes.

No comments: