Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My New Advocate Group

I was checking out this article this morning about how American Idol is getting to be too mean to the contestants. My first reaction was that someone missed the first 4 seasons or something. When hasn't AI been mean to the contestants? Or more specifically, when hasn't Simon been mean?

The thing is, most of the people watching the show in the early weeks only watch to see the bad performers anyway. They watch to see how the judges will react to them. It is refreshing to see them appreciate a good performance but let's be honest; the first few weeks are all about the untalented performers getting rudely bounced off the stage.

What I found interesting in this article also is that there are now a couple of cry-baby groups jumping into the picture. It was bound to happen. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance have shown up to complain about some of the stuff the judges do. I guess it was inevitable.

I personally don't have anything against groups trying to protect their own. What I am surprised about is that these groups even exist. The Gay one probably is better known to some people but the Fat Acceptance one probably isn't. I have heard that the gay and lesbian community totals about 1% of our population. If that is so, then how come everything you see now has some kind of gay rights, gay twist attached to it? TV shows, HBO shows, marches & new laws being shoved down our throats are common. Even that new movie about gay cowboys is winning awards when no one is going to the theatre to see it. I think it's all about being politically correct.

But The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance? Where did this one come from? Their site says they have been around since 1969. There are many more fat people than gay & lesbian people, I'm sure. Plus there are probably some fat gay and lesbians. How come we haven't heard from them before this? Maybe I just never noticed.

It just seems to me that there is a group for anything and everything these days. I think maybe it's another result of all the frivolous class action lawsuits that our screwy courts give credence to. Seems like you could pick just about any issue, make up a fancy name, find a lawyer to file some papers and there you go... another advocate group for some poor oppressed people out there.

What a weird society we are living in.

OK, back to American Idol... I admit to watching it. I admit to watching it only until the first few weeks are over with. I like to see the contestants that get up there and claim they are great only to find out they aren't. It amuses me. Maybe I have a mean streak or something. Maybe most of America does too since the current way the show is done is the biggest thing going. It seems to me that if someone gets up there and puts themselves in that situation, they should not be surprised when things go the way they usually do. There just are fewer talented people than the not so talented ones seen on the show. Is that so mean?

Hey, maybe I need to start an advocate group for people with a mean streak! It could be called "Mean People Against Discriminating Assholes". Our motto could be "Don't hate us because we think you suck!"

I like that. I may have to think about this one.....

No comments: