Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's Resolutions

Yesterday I started wondering just how New Year's Resolutions were invented. I have been thinking about it off and on since then. I think it's simple basically; the New Year is a starting point, a point that we can grab onto as a sign of new beginnings. We can latch onto that feeling of starting something new in a new era and feel like we will actually follow through. Our dedication is probably pretty serious at that point.

But how many resolutions are things that we will keep up with? Not many. How many are things we should just go ahead and do, whether it was November, December or January 1st? Probably most things. If it needed to be done as a resolution, should we have already done it or started it? Most likely.

I have made resolutions in the past. A few times I even kept them up for a while. Most of them I didn't. I don't think I'm too different from most people in that respect. I think the trick is to either not make resolutions or make some that you know you can keep up with. Maybe choosing a resolution that I know I'll do will give me the feeling of accomplishment that I need to try for some harder ones in the future. So here are the resolutions I have come up with. I'll write them here and keep tracking them throughout the year so we can see how well I am keeping up with them. (BTW, I 'borrowed' this idea from Quyen. Thanks Q.)

First, I will put together a small list of new songs I will learn to play. I have been very lazy with my music and I want to change that.

Second, I will have SpaghettiOs at least once a month.

I will have more sex. (Don't laugh. Married people do get less.)

Next, I will assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

I will have a real vacation this year. Not just to the beach, which is a must for me, but something else cool too.

I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so!"

I will start and complete several challenging artistic projects.

This year, I will be less critical of people. Before I criticize a person, I will walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if they get angry, they are a mile away and barefoot.

I will learn to love my job. ;)

I will still be blogging this time next year.

So there you have it. I have made some resolutions. Let's see how many, if any, that I keep.

Anyone else making any New Year's Resolutions?

No comments: