Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The I Told You So Day

Yesterday was a day full of 'I told you so' moments for me. The first was obvious, the Dentist. He gave me the speech, in a nice way, about how he warned me to come in regularly to prevent stuff like teeth breaking and more cavaties, that kind of thing. I knew that was coming. What was great about his speech giving was that he did it before the exam and after checking out my teeth he found nothing wrong but the broken spot. 4 years between visits (yeah, I thought is was only 3) and no problems. The tooth in question was the 'beer bottle' tooth. He laughed when I told him that story and then said "That explains the groove in the tooth right below it". Cool.

Turns out the broken one already had a filling. It just got weaker and the filling ahd to be repaired. I did have to make an appointment for having the cap put onto the one I've ignored for 4 years. He gave me the 'I don't want to have to say I told you so' speech about that one. Basically it was a good visit.

The next 'I told you so' moment was when I got home and found that out kitty had thrown up on our white couch. Nice. (Our cat has been having some stomach troubles lately. )The thing is, Nicci and I had just had the discussion about covering the thing while we aren't home, just to avoid this kind of mishap. Me, being all knowing, had the opinion that the odds were against it ever happening and that we didn't need to worry about it. "She never stays on the furniture when she feels sick." Yeah, famous final words. The very first place the cat pukes is right where I said she wouldn't. It wasn't too bad but it was enough that I was worried we couldn't have it cleaned properly. Luckily the stain guard stuff helped a lot and the couch is now clean, but I earned that 'I told you so' moment. YB's a dope!

The last moment came from me to myself. Those are the worst because they are also the "I should have known better' kind. Makes you feel stupid. I have this huge pile of wood, neatly stacked, outside the garage for our fireplace. (Some may remember the post about the giant wood delivery.) Over the weekend I brought more inside so it would be nice and dry for burning. I noticed that the front stack was a little weebly and wobbly and I decided I needed to restack it so it wouldn't fall down. Once I got insdie and took care of things, I just didn't feel like doing it. I put it off. Naturally the wind picked up yesterday and when I went around the corner of the garage, the whole stack had fallen down. It was all over the place. It took me twice as long to fix it as it would have if I had done it immediately over the weekend.

So that was my day. Full of 'I told you so' moments. I hope to be able to avoid the same fate today. I hope you all do too.

No comments: