Monday, January 23, 2006

Looking Forward To Next Weekend

Back to work is fun. Yes, this Monday morning is OK with me. Not like the usual Monday blahs. Not with the weekend I had. It was an annoying one, to say the least.

First the clogged pipes incident. Then the 'surprise visit' from my Mother right in the middle of the pipe fixing. Then the finishing up of the piping on Sunday and after that the stupid phone service screwing up for no apparent reason.

It was kinda cool that I didn't have to visit for too long on Saturday when the Mom came over. Poor Nicci got the brunt of it. I just kept on working with the Roto Rooter guy until that problem was solved. By that time, the Mom was ready to leave. Neat.

Then I had to figure out how to replace the piping in the yard. The plumber guy had to cut off what was there to access the clogged piping. He was bitching the whole time about how people don't take maintenance into consideration when they put stuff like access piping in. Isn't it funny how that always is the case? One person fixes something and the next person that has to use it hates the way the first person did their thing. It is a very common thing.

Anyway, I had to find out how to replace the access piping that was sticking up from the ground before Mr. Sawzall got busy. I drew myself a little diagram and took it to Lowes, fearing the worst. Turned out it was pretty easy. They had all the fixins and I got it installed within about an hour. Cool!

Naturally, that was too easy. It occurred to me that I was getting off pretty good. Stupid me. Next thing I know, our phone wouldn't work properly. Nicci was talking to her Mom in South Africa and the stupid thing would just fade out. It happened on Saturday morning too but we thought it might be a fluke. Nope.

We have Vonage and it has worked perfectly for months. Now something has changed. I went through all their trouble shooting ideas. Nothing worked. I spent an hour on the phone talking to them and trying everything they suggested. Still didn't work. They decided that I needed a beefier modem so I went and got one and installed it, going through all the crap you have to go through with the cable company to get it set up with them. I was sure that would work. Nope. Same problem this morning. Now I have to get in touch with them again after all that to see if they have any more ideas. Fun!

So I'm happy to be at work today. The weekend wasn't all that great. I did get to sit down late Saturday and sip some wine while watching Anne of Green Gables. Go ahead and laugh but I just got it on DVD and it is one of my favorite movies. Nicci and I actually got to see it together. That was the only calm spot in the weekend.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend. I'll be looking forward to next weekend all week. That should make this week seem longer but the end will be sweet.

Happy Monday.

No comments: