Friday, March 17, 2006

BS Friday

Welcome once again to BS Friday. I'll write it and you tell me if it's true or just plain old BS. This week's post is called: My First Drunk

I remember my first drunk. Like most people I didn't even know I was drunk. It just sort of crept up on me.

I was just a junior in high school. I was heading out to a party with my old buddy Crash (remember him?) and we stopped along the way to pick up a few friends. Now, when these guys said "party" I was too naive to know just what they meant by 'party'. So when the other guys were in the car one of them turned and asked if I liked Jenny. Well, I thought he meant 'Jenny', who I knew well. But what he was saying was 'Genny' as in Genesee Beer. That should tell you what I was getting into.

When we arrived at the party I was a little shocked. It was at our friend Alex's house and the place was packed. His parents had actually allowed him to have the party. They took off for the evening trusting him to be a good boy with his friends. Yeah, right. They didn't know Alex like we did. He was one of those wild boys that a lot of people only wanted to be with when it was party time. Otherwise he was an obnoxious jerk. So what his parents didn't know was that his older brother had helped him get a full tub of Genny.

As soon as we walked in a beer was shoved into my hand. Alex was his usual irritating self, especially with the women. His one goal in life was to boink as many women as he could. He often told us that. (His story is one for another day.) So he didn't hang with us too long since we weren't females. I didn't want to be uncool (as if!) so I popped the top and took a swig of the beer. I nearly choked to death! It wasn't my first beer but I had never liked beer anyway. Genny sucked. Even after I became a beer lover a few years later I hated that stuff. I couldn't hide my reaction and it got a good laugh from the people around us, so naturally I took another big swig, just to try and save face. I handled it better that time.

Soon the party was in full swing and I got used to the taste. Being new to drinking I had no idea what I was headed for. The easier it got to swallow the more I swallowed. I became the Party Guy. I was told later that I was trying to be the life of the party. I even told about 100 people that I was just that. I don't remember everything but these are the things I was told happened:

I made it a point to try and kiss every girl there, whether they wanted it or not.
I stood on the coffee table dancing and begged someone to dare me to drop my drawers.
I had to be stopped when I started a striptease on the table.
Eventually I went outside and started mooning everyone who drove by.
I told Alex's latest conquest 'the truth' about him. He got pissed enough to want to fight with me.
I got into a chugging contest.
I insisted that we get sheets from the closet and have a toga party.
I decided we needed to camp outside that evening even though we had no gear. (Plus it was early Spring and not real warm.)

The next morning came way too fast. I woke up at our usual camping place huddled up next to a burnt out fire. Crash and David and Alex were with me. There was about 1000 beer cans everywhere. When I tried to sit up the whole world started spinning. I immediately started blowing chunks. I continued throwing up for 2 days straight. I know I have never been that sick since.

It was a lesson I learned the hard way. But I can't say I learned it well since I had some other bad nights later in life. But for the remainder of my time in school, I stayed away from any booze at all. The memory of the morning after is still with me today. It still makes me dizzy thinking about it.

1 comment:

Cindy-Lou said...

True! and I dare you to drop your drawers.