Monday, March 06, 2006

Happy Monday

It's a beautiful Monday morning. How's that for a different start on a Monday? I usually have a blah start on Monday mornings. Well, this morning started with Frank Sinatra and Starbuck's. An almost perfect combination so this Monday isn't quite so annoying as some.

Yesterday I went with my Uncle to a coin show. He is a big time coin collector. He has been collecting since he was a kid. He is now 77. You do the math. His collection is so huge that he literally has buckets of coins he considers worthless. Like 2 full buckets of just steel pennies from the WW2 period. Yeah.

Anyhow, I went with him just because he's fun to hang with and we perused this giant coin show. The place was packed too. Who knew it was such a big deal anyway? I didn't. It amazed me what he bought too. He bought $65.00 worth of new nickels. They were uncirculated or something like that. But they weren't all for him. He has friends who collect coins too and he gets new stuff for them. But thats a lot of money for nickles. He did get some cool old stuff he needed to fill some empty spots. I'm not really sure how he can have any more he needs but he said he did.

I did get a coin while I was there. I have this thing for silver dollars. I always have. But I saw this cool one from 1879. It was made in Carson City. I had to get it. My imagination was going crazy thinking about all the cowboys, gamblers, dance hall girls and gunslingers that had to have handled that silver dollar. So I bought it.

I don't think this is the start of a new hobby for me. I have too many now. But it is a cool coin. Anything that makes my imagination fly like that has to be cool.

Ok, I'm rambling. Time to get to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gonna write story about that cool coin, Bob? *g*

Me said...

LOL at Cindy Lou. I bet you are right!

I was looking at 2 'interesting' coins in our house this weekend too. We have a nickle that seemed a little 'heavy' than normal; sure enough it was a 1941 nickel - back when they used real metals to make them! LOL.

Then took a gander at an old dime we have - 1931 or 1929. I don't remember which year it was... one of those! It's old though. (At least by MY standards - since I don't collect old coins!).