Friday, December 02, 2005

Welcome To BS Friday

Welcome once again to BS Friday. I’ll write it, you tell me if it’s true or just plain old BS. This week’s post is called: A ‘Lifetime’ Moment

December 5th is coming. I hate December 5th. December 5th is the day that Judith went away for good.

Way back when I was just recently out of high school I had a girlfriend named Judith. She was 11 years older than me. She was a Manager in the same company where I was working. That’s how we met.

She taught me a lot about life. She was one of the smartest, sweetest and most patient people I’ve ever met. She had to be patient because back then I was so full of crap that when I think back on that me, I can hardly stand myself.

She used to run 2 miles every day at lunch time. A lot of guys at work noticed her routine and would take lunch outside just to see her leave and come back. She wore those little, tight spandex shorts and a sports bra to run. Then she would shower and go back to work. She was a sight to see.

One day I decided I would start running too. She had inspired me. I didn’t want to make her think I was being weird or anything so I would change clothes and head up to the local park to run the trail there. I did that for several weeks until one day I was running along on the trail and suddenly I heard footsteps behind me. I moved over to the side so the person could pass by, but they got beside me and just stayed there. I looked over and it was Judith.

She just smiled and quickly said, “Do you mind company?” I just shook my head no and we kept on going. We ran the trail 3 laps that day. It was 0.7 miles for one lap so we made our 2 miles. Afterward, we stood and talked and she told me she liked company when running and when she heard I was going to the trail, she thought she’d come along as long as I didn’t mind. I didn’t mind at all. To my young mind (currently under the almost total control of my penis) I was halfway to scoring with an uber-hot babe.

We kept at the running for some time. Eventually I got strong enough to allow some conversation while running. We talked about a lot of things and got to be friends. Then we started going out. Mostly innocent things like trips to coffee shops and sometimes she liked to go to the local dinner theatre. I tagged along always. At first because I thought she was so hot. Later because I liked her as a person. I learned a lot about her those first few weeks. One thing I learned quickly was that she had moved to the area to be with her dying Mother. She had left behind a man she cared a lot about but had decided that her Mom was more important. Apparently it was a very hard thing for her to do.

Soon we became closer than friends. We started ‘dating’, as she would say. We did a lot of cool things together that I would never have dreamed of doing. She was from a very wealthy family and they did things I had only read about. I learned about the difference between good wine and bad wine at the wine tasting parties she took me to. I learned proper etiquette at nice dinner places. I learned patience with people and especially when making love. It was an almost surreal time in my life when I look back on it. Kinda like a movie on Lifetime.

Just like on Lifetime, all good things must end and so did Judith and I. A few months after we got close, her Mother passed away. There was the typical funeral and sad weeks afterward settling all the estate affairs. I stood by her all the time, never leaving her unless she wanted to be alone. Sometimes it was hard. Mostly it was something I felt good about being able to do for her.

Then one day she came by my place and told me she was leaving. She was headed back to her old life. She also told me she planned on trying to patch up things with the guy she had left behind the year before. I should have known it was coming. Truthfully, I did in a way. Still, I didn’t accept it very well. I actually was pretty mad about it even though it should have been obvious. I gave her a hard time about it until she finally gave up and left.

I never went to help her pack. I never went to say goodbye. I just sulked and acted like an ass until it became too late to do anything positive anyway. I finally got myself together and the next weekend I hurried to her place, hoping to at least say goodbye. It was too late though. Her landlord told me she had pulled out about 15 minutes earlier.

Now I was panicked. I didn’t want to leave it that way. So I got in the car and headed out, hoping to catch her on the highway. After about an hour, I saw her car ahead. I got up beside her and kept motioning for her to pull over. Finally she did. She got out of her car and I hugged her and held her and told her how sorry I was to have acted so stupidly. I told her how I didn’t want to leave any negative stuff between us. She was happy that I had caught her and, even though there would always be the negative last few days we had together, she would always remember the good stuff the most.

Finally she got ready to go and this time I gave her a proper sendoff. As I watched her drive out of my life I felt a bit of calm this time. I would miss her. No doubt, but at least she wouldn’t have her last memory of us being one where I was acting like a baby.

That was December 5th of 1988. I still don’t care for that day.

No comments: