Thursday, February 17, 2005

Lottery Dreaming

I was just thinking about what I would really do if I won the Lottery. I know everyone has dreams of winning and what they’d do, but I was thinking about what I would REALLY do, not pretending some fantasies. I’m not knocking those, they are fun too, like the one where I finally meet Sandy accidentally and….. wait, I got sidetracked…

What would I really do? First, 10% right to my church. That’s a rule. Next, besides the reality of paying off all my debts, I’d invest, at the minimum, half so that I wouldn’t ever have to worry about debts again. I’d also make sure my family was taken care of. My friends too. (The real friends. You know who you are.) After this, Nicci and I have agreed to split the rest for some fun.

But I’m not a materialistic person, so there really isn’t much stuff I’d go crazy to get. I’d like a house with a garage. That would be cool. We don’t have a garage right now. I’d be sure to find a 1963 Chevy Impala SS, probably convertible. Not all original because I would want to make some ‘modifications’. ;) I always wanted a true classic Fender Strat. Not junk. A 60’s original. Plus, I guess I’d finally be able to get Yankees season tickets. I’d get a real Marilyn Monroe autograph and a baseball autographed by Joe DiMaggio. I’d travel to a few places that I want to see, but there really aren’t many of those either. Ireland for sure, (maybe Ian would want to be a tour guide?) Greece and Italy. That’s all I can think of.

I’ve had those discussions with other people about what I’d do, like starting a business and stuff like that, but really, who would want that hassle when you don’t need to do it? I probably wouldn’t even quit my job. Why do that? They provide health insurance plus how sweet would it be to come to work knowing you don’t really have to? I like what I do, so that’s not a problem. Plus the paycheck would be like spending change. What a cool idea! I’d be real quiet about having won and just keep the same schedule, with more vacations thrown in, to be sure. But I wouldn’t worry about the politics at all. I could let the a-holes know they were a-holes. I could speak up anytime to anyone without worrying about the repercussions. I think I’d have a kick ass time with it. Of course until they decided to kick my ass out, but hey, I wouldn’t care anyway. No biggie.

Probably the only extravagance I’d blow a big chunk of dough on would be a traveling to meet my blog friends. I’d love to meet everyone on my blog roll at least once. Nicci has her ideas about what she’d blow some dough on and that’s cool too. Maybe a blog party would be mine. An all expenses paid, long weekend blowout somewhere cool, like Vegas or something. Of course, the Yankee crew would probably opt for VIP partying at Yankee Stadium. Hmm… that sounds sweet too!

Well, I guess it’s a morning for daydreaming. The odds are that I’ll be thinking the same things when I’m 99 years old. But it is fun to dream. Of course, when I’m that old I’ll probably be a dirty old man and my priorities will be different. I’ll probably want some sexy 65 year old babe to give me a massage or something then…..

9 comments:

peachy said...

Sounds like a good plan. You left out your trip to Spain.

And...your secret would be safe with me about you winning. It would be cool to just sit and goof off at work without the bosses knowing you're independently wealthy. That has a nice ring to it.

Yankeebob said...

Peachy, Shhhh... that trip to Spain is a secret!

Me said...

Gosh, do you think the $5 will go that far????


(smiling because when people say "win the lotter" they never say how MUCH it is. How big you can dream depends on the size of the lottery!) This was one of the 20 questions asked me for the newspaper 2 weeks when they did that story on me. I told her it depended on how 'much' the lottery was. She laughed and said FINALLY SOMEONE SAID THAT! She said for the years she's been doing this interview and asking that question no one ever asked how MUCH money the win was.

You know, that $5 ticket win won't go too far. But it's still winning the lottery! :)

Jody said...

My husband has an Excel program all set up with percentages for our family to "share the wealth". We've had many discussions about this as there are some people (in both our families) who would squander it and then ask for more. I'm the type who would rather open accounts to pay for all the kids' college and give a "gift" to everyone every year.

After I buy my manor in Ireland and the private jet (Doug wants to learn to pilot a plane). And build a cabin on our land in the Ozarks. And take my grandparents on a cruise aboard the QM2.

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

YB, I hope you win!! I like Vegas!

peachy said...

Bob, I never know what's a secret and what's not. Sorry.

Nix Spain everyone!!!

Munch said...

A blog party at yankee stadium - I'm sooooo there YB...

I would have to imitate Richard here.. Faint...pick myself up off the floor..thud...faint again.. Is it hot in here or is just you DJ?

Oh please win the lottery - Oh please oh please oh please win the lottery.

a beer sort of girl said...

Dude, I love your blogger party plan. I'd totally do that too. Especially in Vegas.

But I have to say, I thought I was a spazz about reamin' about winning the lottery, but jody totally trumps me. You have a spreadsheet already?!

Summer said...

The blog party is the absolute best idea ever! WooHoo!!!