Friday, February 25, 2005

Maybe Oliver Had It Right

I'm referring to Oliver from the show 'Green Acres'. Lately I've noticed more and more how different life in the city must be from the burbs or the country. Just by the limited time I spend in and going through parts of Baltimore, I can see where life has got to be vastly different.

The first thing you notice going through this city is all the strange items laying everywhere. There is furniture on the sidewalks. There is a big truck tire lying on the corner of a main thoroughfare that has been there for a couple of weeks. There are trash receptacles everywhere, but they are rarely filled and the ground around them has piles of trash. There are even garbage bags tied up and leaning on small dumpsters that have the lids opened and it's obvious that they are empty. ??? I guess it's not cool for city people to throw the bags into the dumpster; they just have to get them to it.

It's OK for the stuff to cover the sidewalks though. I've figured out why no one moves those things out of the way. People don't use the sidewalks anyway. They just walk in the street. Even when we are driving by, they don't step out of the way. They just keep walking along and we have to follow them until we can get around. Or, if they are heading toward us, we have to stop so we don't hit them until they move aside. Then we get the evil eye for having the nerve to drive on the street they were using as a sidewalk. Maybe we should drive on the sidewalks? This is no exaggeration. It happens every day.

The drivers are the same way. They just stop and have conversations for hours, not at all interested in who is waiting behind them. Or they park in the street and come back whenever. Or they just stop and block traffic by deciding to do a U turn or a 3 point turn without warning. (It would seem that city cars aren't equipped with turn signals either.)

Along those lines (sort of) the city people I've had more than 2 conversations with do act differently than I'm used to. They seem to believe they are owed pretty much everything and they shouldn't have to work too hard for anything. The ones I've worked with certainly have this attitude. It's nearly impossible to get them to do anything productive without being there to look over their shoulder to make sure they do it.

I've also noticed that there are many, many restaurants around everywhere. People in this city like to go out to eat. That's not a bad thing. I love going out for lunch or dinner. I'm just amazed that the folks I've talked to here seem to do this as a general rule and staying home to cook isn't the norm. That's got to be expensive.

Another thing is, at least in this neighborhood, there is a church on every other block Churches everywhere you go. But the murder rate is out of control. The murder rate in this city is 5 times higher per capita than New York City and 3 times higher than Los Angeles. I heard these stats on the radio recently and I guess I wasn't really surprised. You have quite the dichotomy here. All the churches and all the killers. Maybe the killers feel bad and need the churches for confessing before they go back out and do it again? Seems strange to me.

The bottom line for me is, this is an OK place to visit, but I could never even consider living here. It's too foreign a lifestyle to me. I don't know if these things are common to all big cities or just this one, but for me, they can keep the place.

5 comments:

Me said...

Part of me thinks that this is a normal part of maturing... that it's been going on to some extent for 100 years.

When you are young and you want to take on the world, do it all, live the big city life and grab all it has to offer. You are young, single, no cares. Little responsibility and a very "feels good do it" attitude.

Then you start to grow, to mature and to realize what impact decisions have long term, both in your private life and in the environment you live in. When you start to look at the people surrounding your immediate every day life and you think; Wow. This is getting bad!

When in fact it's probably always been that way to some extent... you just start to slowly evolve and change in what you want and need from life.

Thus; in the 30's most people tend to want to move out of the cities and into the suburbs or country. Leaving more space for the young "want it all and I'll take it any way I can get it even if I have to take it from you" crowd.

Some never want this...
Other young people never go through that stage...
But in general I believe that is what happens.

Now... shall I start looking for Iowa farmland for ya? *wink* Warning: not much exists anymore. It's all been bought out and housing developments are going up! LOL.

grace said...

yikes. sounds more like the ghetto instead of the city. eep.

peachy said...

When I lived in the city, I loved it. You're so close to everything and you can walk if you want to.

I don't like the attitudes of some in the city, but I don't like the snobs in the suburbs either.

I just look past the trash and honk at those walking in the streets!

a beer sort of girl said...

Bal'more is a tough town, Bob. In my opinion, it's scarier than a lot of 'bigger city' places I've been. But I am with you. I've never been a big city person, except to visit. Am all about the 'burbs and grass and fences and owning a car and dogs and living close to a grocery store.

a beer sort of girl said...

Spacebrain is funny. :) I don't live in the country-suburbs. No cows near me. I live in the 'mid-town' suburbs. In the 1940's-50's housing built on what used to be the outskirts of town, but now is closer to the city than any newer neighborhoods.