Friday, February 04, 2005

A Vampire In Waiting

Once again this morning I noticed one of the big differences between myself and most of the people I know. I like the dark. OK, let's be honest, I love the dark. When I'm home, I never turn lights on. No matter where I am in the house, even in my basement 'Fortress of Solitude'. The only light down there comes from the computer screen or the TV when it's on.

Most of the people I know aren't that way. Nicci has lights on in every room she goes into. The brighter the better. I can't stand that. Especially in the mornings. I can sleep through almost any noise, through the cats jumping all over me, pretty much anything, but when Nicci turns on a light, I'm wide awake. I'm like one of those Gremlins when the lights come on, all squinty eyed yelling "Bright light! Bright light!" I even had to install a bigger more powerful light on the bedroom ceiling so she could have even more light in there. I never use it.

Even at work, I'm the one who turns out the lights in areas where I don't think they are needed, like the restroom in our building. The wall has these really cool old fashioned glass block type things in it that allow light through. You can't see through them, but the light comes through just fine. I don't see the need for electric lights in there. Also, if I'm the first one into the building in the mornings, I don't bother to turn on the lights. I like it shady and dark.

The only time I really appreciate bright light is when I'm driving. That's when you do need good lights. Our good car has the most awesome high-beams I've ever seen. It's fun to use those. When they are on, it looks like there are lasers shooting out of the front of the car. You can actually see strong light beams going ahead of you. I like thinking that as I'm driving, the lasers are cutting down everything in their path. Kind of like a cool James Bond weapon. They look that way.

Nope, I'm someone who prefers the dark. Always have felt more comfortable at night. Maybe I'm a Vampire in waiting? May be since every time I look toward the sun I start sneezing. Sometimes it just takes regular lighting to make me sneeze. I'm allergic to bright lights. Is that possible? I think I'll move to one of those places where the nights are really long. Well, then again, I hate the cold and I don't think any of those places are very warm. Maybe I'll just stick to hiding in the dark at home. Like a mushroom. Maybe I'm part mushroom?

10 comments:

Me said...

Hmmm one more thing we have in common. :)
I love sunlight though. More than anything else I have to have sunlight or I turn into a cranky lady.
But - artificial light? Nope.
I NEVER have lights on. I don't even realize it most of the time. Sometimes I'll be cooking dinner and not realize I'm in the dark... so I may light a candle at that point or just turn on a small night light we have in the kitchen. I'm not doing it to save energy... I just don't like artificial light! LOL. Odd. I know.

Summer said...

YB, are we the same person? I'm the exact same way. Well, except for the headlight thing, b/c I've got pussy headlights. I turn off every light in the house and sit in the dark all the time. I even read using a night light. Light really does hurt my eyes.

Yankeebob said...

J the weenie. That has a nice sound to it. Are you afraid of the boogeyman?

Meritt, I love the sunlight too. In the Summer when there is a ballgame to see or a tennis match to play or a beach to roast on. Other than that I live for the night. I have to agree, artificial light sucks. I have a huge collection of oil lamps and candles for 'good light'.

Ropemonkey, I think Spike was the coolest one in that movie. That stripe on his head was awesome.

LAH, ummm, what team was it that just traded Sammy Sosa for a crippled infielder and some minor league bums? Well, come to think of it, you're right anyway, I can be full of shiitake. It's fun.

Summer, you and I would get along great. I have this cool little clip-light for reading. (Which I do a lot.) Dark is comforting to me. (Plus, judging by your last post, I know we would get along well. ;))

Amy S. Petrik said...

hey prince of darkness, hello! i personally like to sleep like ELVIS during his drug years. oh wait, that was all of his life! anywho, nothing is better to have your navy curtains cover up the bright light of the ole sun to keep your bedroom nice and dark and cozy. i'm not much of a fan of light either...but never thought of myself as a vampire. hmm, i will need to ponder on this a bit more apparently. have a good weekend, inky

SJ said...

I must be a Vampire. I like the dark. I like blood. I like biting girls' necks. I can even talk like Christopher Walken....

Lars said...

My wife can't do anything in the dark.

I can be in a house I've never been in before and I can make my way in the dark anywhere I need to go. Her? She would bump into everything!

At my parents house, where we lived for a year, and go to every weekend and where I lived for 18 years, I can get around anywhere without lights on. If I'm not sure if there is a kitchen chair out I will just open my eyes wider and put a hand in front of the crotch area and go.

She can't do it! She has to turn lights on to go up stairs. They're stairs for crying out loud! They don't move and you know nothing is on them!

It's funny the differences...

grace said...

but, the places with really long nights, also have really long days during the summer... hrm....

Cindy-Lou said...

I have a vampire fetish.

Munch said...

There is something about the way Ian said he likes to bite on girls necks....

Dark and biting on necks...

Summer said...

Okay, Ian, you have to come to the states! You can talk like Christopher Walken? That is so feaking cool. I am secretly in love with Christopher Walken (oops, it's not a secret anymore).