Sunday, February 20, 2005

Never To Old To Learn

Hello blogland. I'm posting this from my brand new PC! This is exciting. My old PC was driving me nuts so I went to Best Buy and upgraded. I've been threatening to do this for about a year. It's taken me all day to purge the old one of personal stuff and set this one up, but it's been fun.

I had a strange experience yesterday that I haven't had the chance to talk about yet. I had to talk a woman into buying jewelry. Does that sound strange? I had to talk Nicci into getting something she really wanted.

We went shopping for my Mom's birthday, which is next Sunday. She's a jewelry junkie. When we got to the store, they were having an amazing sale. President's Day sale. We picked out something for my Mom and it was 50% off. Then they gave us an additional 10% and with a coupon that was in the local paper, we got another 15% off the final price. The coupon was a one day thing and we just happened to pick the right day.

Well, with those deals, we went ahead and got something Nicci's Mom had been wanting too. (Even though her birthday isn't until April.) Then Nicci saw a diamond pendant that she loved, but wouldn't get. She said she'd feel guilty. I had to talk her into it. Of course, I was paying, but it still took some work convincing her.

I guess I'm a typical guy who just expects that all women will suck up diamonds and stuff given the opportunity. Normally, I hate to stereotype anyone and I guess at that moment I was. You know, "Diamonds are a girls best friend" and all that. I found out that that stereotype isn't always true. Well, live and learn!

Forgive me ladies. I no longer believe that all women are jewelry junkies. Now if I could just stop believing the Tooth Fairy.....

11 comments:

Me said...

Mmmm... I'm still learning. I'm 34 now and just starting to fall in love with diamonds. I've never been a jewelry girl before, but after I hit 30 it kind of came naturally. (I know I would pick a VERY different wedding ring NOW than I did back then....)

Lynn said...

I love jewelry. I am female, after all. *g* But I've never been one to buy it just because. There's so many other things that I should be spending on, you know?

My mother had to talk me into a ruby ring that I happened to like (she was buying), and I have bought stuff at costume jewelry parties, but my good stuff has come from my husband, and usually for my birthday.

Summer said...

I'm not a jewelry person. I always asked for more tomboyish type stuff for birthdays...like warm fuzzy socks and tank tops or tennis shoes, or toys and comic books for my tmnt collection.

Summer said...

P.S. Congratulations on your purchase of a new PC. Welcome to the 21st century!

SJ said...

Bob - your Mom and my Dad share the same birthday. Maybe they're related...

cat said...

Personally I hate diamonds. I think they are so boring and over priced. I am not a huge jewelry fan anyhow. And I know that I had to look a long time before I found an engagement ring I liked. Ended up getting one with more than just diamonds. I like colour in my jewelry. Ha!
Also.. I rarely change my earrings. I have three little hoops. Used to have more but I gave up on them.

Jody said...

I'm not a diamond girl. I love colored stones and fun jewelry. DOug needs to buy me some more...

Karen said...

YB, Diamonds are indeed this girl's best friend -- Baseball Diamonds, that is :)

Have you ever read Shoeless Joe by WP Kinsella? It's the book Field of Dreams is based on. Anyway, in the beginning the narrator notes he was born in April and has a diamond birthstone (just like me!) and brings that back to the whole baseball diamond thing. It made me feel awesome to be able to say that too.

And the jewel diamonds are pretty damn nice, too.

Yankeebob said...

Hey Lor! I knew you'd be a diamond girl.

Meritt is learning to like jewelry? See, I learned something else new today. It's funny how your tastes change when it comes to wedding rings. Nicci and I got rid of our originals after 1 year, to the day.

So Lynn, your husband spoils you on your birthday? Goo guy! BTW, I really like the new pic.

Summer, you're my kind of girl! More into fun stuff than girlie stuff. Thanks for the congrats. My old pc was one I got in 1999. Funny how that doesn't sound old, but in computer terms, it's anchient.

Ian, thank your lucky stars that my Mom isn't related to your Dad. She's a bit... kooky.

Cat, sounds like you would have a hard time finding an engagement ring. I knew a woman who only wore the ring until after they were married and then put it away.

Jody, I'll be sending Doug your message... More Jewelry!

KB, that's the right kind of diamond, for sure! I'm going to check out that book. The movie was great. I'm nearly out of reading materials.

J, I really did have to work her over to get her to 'let' me buy it for her. (Does that sound weird?) Watch out, Meritt will corrupt you. Wait, would it be corrupting if it was going in a natural direction? I'm still confused....

peachy said...

I wasn't really big into jewelry until I started getting it as gifts. Ok..that's a lie. My mom has given me jewelry and I never wore it, but now that Ed sees me everday I wear the jewelry he gave me and it's not so bad. I like any gems. I'm not picky.

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

At this point, I would cut off my pinky for a decent pair of princess cut diamond studs. But it is only recently that I have begun coveting them. Otherwise I would rather have something like a new TV or a nice couch or a new bed...Gah! I am sooo boring!