Sunday, February 27, 2005

Where Everybody Knows Your Name.....

When I got into Starbuck's this morning, the Manager said hello like always and had already put my order into the register. Then she indicated my two Lattes were sitting on the counter and were ready to go. I laughed when she said she saw me driving across the parking lot and went ahead and made them. I was surprised a little, but I guess I shouldn't be. I do go there every weekend, and sometimes during the week when I'm early in the morning and have time to stop. It just surprised me.

It reminded me of some of the bars I once frequented. There were several that all I had to do was walk in and my beer would be ready and waiting. I always liked that kind of thing. Makes you feel good somehow. One place in particular that I went every Thursday directly after work would have my beer and my California Salad dinner waiting when I got in. It was a Thursday ritual with me and they got used to me showing up at the same time every week. I went there for happy hour, something for dinner and usually would read a book while eating and talking with the bartender, who ended up becoming a friend. After the big crowds would start coming in, I'd leave.

I guess this shows that I am a creature of routine. I think a lot of people have little routines they keep to. It's a comfort of a sort. Rituals and routines are a way to gauge how much time you have available in the day. You know how long it will take you to get ready for going out, how long dinner will take to get over with, yada yada yada. Probably everyone has a few and sometimes they don't realize it until they get altered. Then comes the frustration when your routine gets screwed up by someone interfering. If you alter it, it's OK, but if someone else screws it up, look out. That could be the start of a bad day coming.

I guess I like that the coffee shop knows me that well. It's nice to go where everybody knows your name.....

I wonder about the 'glad you came' part sometimes.....

8 comments:

Me said...

I look forward to living some place long enough to become a creature of habit somewhere. :)

As it is, I'm entertaining the thought of hitting my local Starbucks tonight. (The only coffee place open on Sundays after 3:pm!!!) Maybe that will become my routine. Starbucks on Sunday night. Hmmmm. I truly do love morning coffee MUCH better than night coffee though.

Me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SJ said...

I used to go to a pub like that when I lived in England. The barmaid always got my Guinness ready when she saw me coming in. She used to draw froth shamrocks on the top of my pint as well. Before long, she started drawing hearts instead. Ah, that old Irish charm used to work wonders! I wonder where it all went wrong!

a beer sort of girl said...

I personally think men enjoy routine more than most women. At least that's my unconfirmed theory. The Husband & I had a bar like that, and they were always ready for us. I resented being so predictable & starting ordering different stuff. The Husband said I ruined it for him. :)

peachy said...

I try not to be that predictable, but I know I probably am.

I do like judging other people's routines to mine. For example, when I saw the girl that used to run in the morning, I knew I was on time.

Also, if the roofers near work are still gathering, I know I'm on time.

mm..lattes. hee hee

grace said...

NOOOOORM! :P

i don't have any place like that. i'm such a loser. or unmemorable. damn :( hehe...

Joanne said...

I actually have multiple places that are like that for me. It is sad yet comforting at the same time. At the bar I go to, it depends on which bartender I have. Sad to say most of them have a regular drink for me... and it is a different drink for each.

Summer said...

I used to frequent a steakhouse with my ex. We would go every Saturday and order the same thing every time. Usually, we ended up having the same waitress. If we didn't have our usual waitress, then she would stop by the table to say hello. It got to where after a couple months, the girl would go ahead and put in our order as we were being seated. She would bring out the drinks and appetizer right after we sat down. It was neat feeling like we were important people.