Monday, June 13, 2005

At Least I Learned Something This Time

I'll tell you what I've figured out recently about women. This should have worked its way through my thick skull long ago, but I just didn't pay attention. What I've finally learned is that when a woman says, "I've been thinking about maybe doing this project..." it means she has already decided to do it. It also means she has done a lot of considering and planning and mental logistics and knows pretty much exactly what she wants done.

Last week Nicci started talking about maybe replacing the stuff in our half-bath on the main level. We've decorated the tiny little roon in a Victorian style and the sink and toilet were still original from when the place was built. I should have gotten the hint as to what was coming when she wanted to go to Lowes and just look at what might be available. I avoided the trip on Thursday, but not Friday. And of course, there was the perfect set for our bathroom. Of course there was. (Yes, that was a sarcastic tone.) So now she was convinced that we needed to replace the old stuff.

I think I was set up. I think she already knew what she wanted and maybe even had already researched it.

Needless to say, we got the sink Friday but had to go back Saturday for the toilet. Naturally, not all the parts were in for the toilet and we had to travel another 50 miles or so to another Lowes to get the other parts. Now, along with going to another store, you naturally have to look around at all the neat stuff that the new place has. Naturally. Problem with doing that is a new place with different stuff brings on new ideas for new projects. Naturally. We got the parts we needed along with new lights (plural intentionally), house numbers, paint for areas that suddenly need painted, and lots of little stuff to keep me busy for a while.

Sunday was spent installing a lot of this stuff. A work day all day. My weekend gone in a flurry of home improvement. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not into stuff like this. I did it though, just to stay out of the doghouse. Plus, Saturday was Nicci's Birthday and Sunday was our Anniversary. I decided to let her go crazy for those reasons.

Yep, quite the romantic Anniversary, eh? We're old fuddy-duddies before our time, I think. But the end result is really nice. The room looks amazing. Most of the new stuff is taken care of, so next weekend I should be off the hook.

From now on I'll know better though. I'll know that 'thinking about something' means it's going to happen. At least I'll get some time to mentally prepare myself from now on.

No comments: