Tuesday, June 14, 2005

“What Blogger Am I?”

So last night, being the sweet person that I am, I invited Nicci to go out for dinner. I felt bad (for her and me too!) because we had managed to miss the Birthday/Anniversary weekend by acting like guest stars on Home Improvement. Blah! Anyway, we went to Nicci's fave place to stuff ourselves, Shogun Restaurant for sushi and hibachi. Sweet!

When we start out, we got a nice surprise; the freakin sky suddenly lets loose with this ginormous blast of thunder and the rain splashes down on us like a tidal wave has just landed in our neighborhood! Gah! Good thing it didn't last long. By the time we got to the restaurant, it had passed. Whew!

I'll spare you the gory details of the woman who greeted us at the door and get right to the good parts. The Food! But I will say that just because you look the part doesn't mean you can pull off the accent and the mannerisms of a genuine Japanese Hostess. We could soooo tell she was an American faking the persona. I was thinking, “Why don't you just start jumping around the room like a "Crouching Tiger" stunt double or something while you're at it! Maybe then I'd buy it.” Whatever.

Anyway, we get to the hibachi table and we proceed to order an ASSLOAD of Sushi! You would think we were never going to see any sushi again! I remember thinking that maybe I wouldn’t be able to finish dinner after all that sushi, but then I remembered where I was. No problem!

Mmmmm...then the Hibachi Chef shows up and does his thing. If you’ve never been to one of those places, you really need to go. Just go. I said go! Not right now, after you finish reading this. Hee hee! Uhm, where was I? Oh… the chef does this really cool thingy where he tosses the egg around with the metal spatula and then he tosses it up just enough that when it comes down on the side of his tool (huh, I said tool!) it breaks just enough to let all the slimy stuff out but the shell doesn’t break all the way. How cool is that??? I NEED to know how to do it!

Oh! Then when he’s finishing up the cooking, (my filet was done to perfection btw), he starts cutting up shrimp and with that sweeeet magic spatula he tosses shrimp into everyone’s mouth. Total bonus! Some didn’t make it into the mouth though. A couple of people had shrimp juices in their eye and on their forehead. I hate when that happens! Hee hee! But I caught mine. How could I not, with the vacuum still running in my stomach, looking for more yummy food. Please, like I’d miss flying shrimp heading toward my open yap!

Hmmm…next, while we were waiting for the check (and me looking for some air to breathe since I had pigged out way too much) two of the waitresses came over with a mega bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup and a lit candle on it. They remembered that I mentioned Nicci’s birthday earlier and brought her a nice surprise. Then we all sang Happy Birthday along with them. But the one woman couldn’t say Nicci’s name right (her real name) and it kept sounding like she was calling her sushi. Hilarious! So naturally I sang ‘sushi’ in the birthday song. Nice!

Finally it was time to go. I had had enough food for three people. Sooooo...as you can guess, I was moving slooooow. But it was worth it. The perfect end to a lovely day. Lovely after leaving work, that is! If you’ve never been to a Hibachi place, check it out. It rules! But be prepared to be stuffed for a while. They don’t let you leave hungry. Ooooh yeah!

No comments: