Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Don't You Forget About Me.....

I’m sitting here trying to stay interested in the Baseball game but it’s just not working out. Interleague play sucks! It’s like generic jazz or something; always leaves you wanting the real deal. The 2 American League teams I’ve been watching are killing the National Leaguers at this point anyway, so it’s even more boring. The only time I like seeing a blow-out is when the Yankees are giving it to someone. This year those times will be few, I think.

So I’m flipping channels and MTV is showing their awards show again. I don’t watch MTV much anymore. Maybe if they actually had some MUSIC on, I would. That’s rare though. But this time when I turn onto the channel, they are at a point in the show where I can relate. Big time. They are doing a special award to honor The Breakfast Club. Now there’s a great movie. 1985 was quite the year for old YB and that movie was a bright spot.

Do you remember when you first saw it? I do. I was out at the all night Drive In Movies with a huge group of friends. Yep, the town I grew up in had a working Drive In Theatre and we would load a car with everyone we knew and roll on in. The cost was per car, so every nook and cranny got stuffed with people. It was a serious party atmosphere when the all-nighters were playing. Usually we missed most of the first few movies. It wasn’t until we were getting tired that we’d actually see some of the later ones. The Breakfast Club was different.

Almost from the beginning it caught our attention. Once we actually started watching it, it was all over. We were hooked. Back then, that group of us really could relate to those characters. We could find a little of ourselves in one of them at least. The movie did speak to us about us. I wonder if it still has the same effect on younger generations today? Maybe it still does.

The award was received by Molly Ringwald (sweet), Ally Sheedy (another sweet one) and Anthony Michael Hall. Molly did most of the talking and one thing she said struck me as really interesting. She said, “We made this film for the MTV audience…” I wondered if she meant the original MTV audience, the current one or did she mean all of them over the years? I think the latter probably. Mostly because the movie is still a favorite even after 20 years.

I don’t believe this current audience and the one from 1985 have a lot in common, other than love of music. One thing we especially don’t have in common is MTV. Back then MTV was all about music. It was mostly all videos. It was well on its way to becoming the huge marketing thing it did become. I think it had only been around 3-4 years by 1985??? Maybe. I remember always checking in every night to see what new video would be playing.

These days MTV is just another TV station. All kinds of goofy shows, news, drama. Oh, and sometimes some music. It’s really not the same. Times do change, I guess. Sometimes not for the best.

I’m glad they recognized The Breakfast Club. It’s a great movie and if you are going to do some useless awarding, do it for something good. At least they got that right.

Oh well. Back to Baseball. Cool! Soriano just hit another home run…..

No comments: