Saturday, June 18, 2005

It’s A Week For Remembering

I went to Starbuck’s this morning (surprise) and while I was there someone I knew from a few years ago came in. She was a good friend but had moved away to California. Now she’s back and I hardly recognized her.

At first I thought, “She looks familiar.” Then, when she talked and told the girl her name (they write your name on your cup at Starbuck’s) I finally managed to get it into my bean who she was. So I slowly worked my way up to her and casually said, “I’ve never met a real Dodgers fan before.” (She was wearing a Dodgers t-shirt, btw) She turned and instantly I knew she knew me. I got a big hug out of it and then we talked for a while. It was good to see her.

I told her I hardly recognized her. She left as a bit of a frumpy but cute girl and came back a fit and sexy hottie. Does California do that to a person? At any rate, we will be getting together sometime soon for a serious catch-up session. It was great to see her.

Last night I had a similar incident but with a different reaction. I ran into another old friend who had left town a few years ago but when she came back, it’s like she’s totally someone else. (I may have mentioned her briefly at some other time.) She is my age, but has her PhD. She went straight through school without stopping after high school and had it 10 years ago. She was very independent and career motivated. She started out in R&D, did exceptionally well, moved to Marketing where she kicked ass and then left for the FBI. She was a forensics investigator. Quite the impressive woman.

Now she’s back, married with one kid and another baking in her oven, looking totally…. Ragged? Is that the term? She nowhere near looks like she did. She was once very attractive. Now she’s the frumpy housewife looking person. All her long pretty hair is gone; cut so short it’s scary. She just does not look like the person I knew. I think most people from back then would have a hard time recognizing her too. It’s like a disguise or something.

The good thing is that she seems to be almost the same person. She’s great to talk with although I did notice that she didn’t introduce me to her husband. It was the first time I had run into them together too. Still, it’s great to see her. I just have to get used to the ‘new look’.

I know, looks don’t mean anything. I’m not trying to be a superficial ass here. I’m just making a comparison between the two incidents because they are opposite. I’m still really happy to see both old friends. It’s just a surprise what a few years between visits means. Both were good buds that I did a lot of stuff with in the past. It’s amazing what a few years will do. I wonder how they see me now compared to back then? I’m sure if I asked, they’d tell me. Next time, I’ll ask.

What is with me this past week reminiscing about old friends?

No comments: