Saturday, June 25, 2005

Mayhem At Starbuck's

This morning at Starbuck’s I ordered a venti skim, extra foam, triple hot, cream cheese omelet latté with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan and nutmeg. The girl at the counter just kinda stared at me for a second a little unsure what to say so I added a double shot of French onion soup “in a clean glass please”. That must have done the trick for her and she started laughing. Problem was, she couldn’t stop laughing. She had a really hard time turning to tell the barrista my order. Luckily, the barrista knew me and through her laughs, she said, “So, you want the usual?” Of course I did.

Now, the poor girl at the counter was still having a hard time taking orders. The people behind me were amused at what I said but they were really amused at the girl who just couldn’t stop giggling. (She is one of the Manager types there, btw, and is really a sweetheart.) So she’s trying to take their orders and relay them back to the bar to be made and she keeps stopping to breathe and giggle. I started to feel a little guilty until I noticed the next 2 couples in line were starting to laugh too.

Then she turns and calls the next order back and the girl making drinks very sweetly asks, “With cheese or nutmeg?” That did it. The girl at the counter lost it and the couple ordering started laughing too. When I looked at the barrista, she just calmly put my coffees on the bar, smiled at me and kept going about her business. I left with the poor counter girl still not under control.

I thought it was marginally funny when I said it. I guess she found it exceptionally funny. See what an innocent joke can do to someone? You just never know what effect your words can have. ;)

No comments: