Friday, June 03, 2005

I Love The 70’s

I was checking out VH1 tonight between innings of the Baseball game(s) and they had a string of “I Love The 70’s” on. I love those flashback shows. Especially the 80’s ones, but I did manage to catch the 2 shows that were late 70’s. They crack me up. I started my first year of Senior High School in 1978, so a lot of this stuff I knew but managed to forget. Most of it I’m glad to have forgotten, but some is fun to remember. Here’s a short list of highlights, good & bad:

Kim Basinger in 1978 doing a commercial for beer shampoo. The shampoo actually had real beer in it. How cool is that? That wouldn’t fly today. The lawyers of the world would have a field day with it

WKRP In Cincinnati was a funny show. I had totally forgotten about it. I remember have a huge crush on Bailey and thinking that Loni Anderson was not good looking. My favorite character was Johnny Fever. I loved that guy. He was cool.

BJ & The Bear was the opposite end of the spectrum for me. That show sucked ass. A trucker driving around with a monkey and saving the world. I guess CB Radios and truckers were considered cool for a while. I never thought so. Plus, I absolutely hate any show or movie with an animal star. Bleech!

The Ginsu Knife came out in 1978. I remember being fascinated by a knife that would cut through cans. I wanted one so I could get some Pepsi’s, suck them down and carve up the cans. That had to be fun. Remember, cans back then were really cans, not aluminum.

Fantasy Island. How strange a show that was. Mr. Rourke had to be some kind of wizard or something to grant all those fantasies. I just wonder how come some real fantasies never got show time. I remember I wanted to be naked with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders on Fantasy Island. (They were really a big deal back then too.) Come to think of it, I still wouldn’t mind that fantasy.

The big question still goes unanswered; The Who or Led Zeppelin? Which is the better band? Anyone care to venture an opinion?

I remember Robert Plant being nicknamed “The Cock Rocker” He always had those super tight jeans on and he looked like he had an anaconda stuffed down into the front of them. There was a rumor going for a while that he had a sock in there during shows but I never heard of any proof.

Remember the game “Simon”? That thing drove me nuts! I would like to find one tomorrow and smash it to bits just for some relief. I could have done without that reminder.

“The Wiz” – “The Ghetto version of The Wizard Of Oz”. (Not my words. The people on the show said that.) Why do people feel the need to destroy classics like that? That movie stinks beyond stink. Funny thing though, Michael Jackson still looked human in that one. Yep, it’s that old.

“Animal House”. One of my favorite movies all time. It’s so goofy you can’t help but laugh. It also brought us the toga party and the best grocery store pick up line ever “Mines bigger than that.” (Said while holding a cucumber.) Can’t beat that.

I could write more, but it’s time to stop. Maybe soon there will be an “I Love The 80’s” show on. My memories from those years will be pretty amusing, to be sure. What I am able to remember that is.

No comments: