Wednesday, March 02, 2005

A Favorite Yankeebob Recipe

Tonight I made one of my favorite sandwiches. I thought I’d share it with my blogger friends. It’s a simple thing to do and very worth the time.

First you need a lightly toasted onion bagel, toasted just enough to warm it up. Then you splootch on ketchup (Heinz, of course) all over each side of the bagel. As much or as little as you want. Then you add a thin line of French’s Sweet & Spicy mustard on each side, making a perfect circle around the middle of the bagel. Next you add a round slice of provolone cheese on top of each bagel half. Note: you can add any type of spices onto the bagel face before adding the cheese. I added hot relish tonight.

Set these parts aside for a minute. Now you make 2 hot dogs any way you prefer. I prefer them done on the grill, but seeing as my deck is under half a foot of snow right now, I just did them in the microwave. Once they are ready put the bagel halves into the microwave and heat them just long enough to start the cheese melting. Now we are ready for the assembly.

Slice the dogs down the middle but not all the way through. Open them up and lay them flat on the bottom half of the bagel. Now add thin lines of ketchup in the creases of the dogs (substitute the mustard if you prefer) and then on top of the thin lines add lines of sweet pickles. I use the tiny sweet midgets. Then put the top part of the bagel on. The warmed cheese on top of the warmed dogs ends up fusing everything together. Now munch down. This makes an awesome sandwich. Trust me. It’s really good.

I’ve done some variations on this, like adding a layer of pepperoni or using a different meat or cheese and maybe a different sauce, like barbecue or adding veggies (not a YB staple mind you). They all work well, but this is the best way. Fairly simple and yummy.

Yeah, I know what you all are thinking, “Gee, I didn’t know Yankeebob was such an amazing chef!” Well, I’m full of surprises, let me tell ya! Of course most of what I like are recipes that I invented while living a bachelor’s life for a long time, so those of you (Meritt, Jody and especially Chef Nina) who are actually sitting there wondering wtf is up with this kind of cooking, there’s your answer. Guys living alone can come up with some cool stuff.

Everybody enjoy!

8 comments:

Oddgirl said...

Sounds like you put some effort into the precision of this recipe. Just because I'm a chef doesn't mean I don't love simple food. I absolutely love hot dogs on the grill. I especially liked the part in your recipe where we lay the ketchup down the hot dog split line. Tres Magnific! I must say it sounds like you might have a slight addiction to ketchup.

Do you say "catsup" or "ketchup"? Why is that even a debate? I guess I should asked that question on the quiz post...:)

Me said...

Oh gosh... I really wanted to like this recipe but I just can't. I just can't OK? I can't!

LOL.

Yankeebob said...

Yeah Nina, I believe I can have ketchup on almost everything. I love ketchup and bologna sandwiches. Oh, and I do say "ketchup", just like on the Heinz bottle. How do you pronounce it?

J, give it a try. It's pretty good. Catsup is a word I've seen on a lot of off brands of what looks like ketchup. Sort of like Safeway brand or something. I've never actually heard someone say it that way.

Meritt, I was looking forward to your reaction. Which part(s) turned you off? It's pretty good. Trust me.

Me said...

Well YB... if I ever meet you in person I promise I'll taste this sandwich.
Well, I'm not a mustard girl. And I don't eat very many hotdogs in my life either. But I don't know... I just can't imagine this one. I'll let you make it for me some time though. LOL.

peachy said...

I try to only eat hotdogs on 4th of July, unless it's at the pretzel hotdog place.

I don't like ketchup on my hot dogs either-or cheese.

I'm with Merritt: This recipe will never be used at my house.

Yankeebob said...

OK Meritt, I'll cook for you sometime. Maybe I'll make my SpaghettiO and hot dog recipe too. It's the best!

Peachy, you don't have dogs at the ballpark? That's a rule. I could have hot dogs every day.

Emmie, I've never tried them baked. But you know I will now. Maybe we should have a blogger cookout? Then we can all try different grilling recipes.

Jody said...

I craved hot dogs when I was pregnant. Why couldn't you have shared this 6 months ago???

Kis Lee said...

i love hot dog sandwiches, except i make mine w/ plain bread.

heinz is the only way to go.