Sunday, March 27, 2005

You Can Drink The Coffee, Just Don't Listen To The Music

So I’m at Starbuck’s this morning talking with K, waiting for my morning fix and the music in the background is nagging at me. There is a song playing that somehow sounds familiar, but while I’m having a conversation, I just am not paying enough attention to recognize it. Then another customer comes in and K is helping them. That’s when I focus a bit and realize the song is someone doing a cover version of the Who’s “Let My Love Open The Door”.

I was shocked to finally recognize it. It was a country singer doing a pseudo reggae version of the Who’s classic rock song. Freakin weird! It sucked so bad that it was barely recognizable. I started laughing and K asked what was wrong with me. I told her how I finally realized what the music was and how horrible it was. The other 2 women there looked over at me and started laughing about it too. They told me that the Starbuck’s music selections were getting weirder all the time. They said yesterday there was some cd playing of ‘modern’ hip hop singers doing old style jazz songs, like Billie Holiday stuff. I’ll bet that was weird.

I really can’t stand when a country singer does a bastardized version of a classic rock song. This version was the funniest, stinkingest (is that a word?) most absurd version of any that I had ever come across. When I said that everyone there got a good laugh at least. Then when I was leaving a new song came on. It was a Janis Joplin song being destroyed by a woman country singer with that extreme twangy, country sounding voice/accent. It was bad. I stopped, looked over my shoulder and rolled my eyes. They all just started laughing.

I wonder who decides what music selections are played in the stores? Oh well. At least the Starbuck’s coffee is still good.

No comments: