Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Sometimes You Just Gotta Say WTF

Well, I did something last night that may or may not make sense to some, but for my sanity, it had to be done. As most of you know, I've been struggling mightily with the new car that I bought in September. For those who may be new, a short update:

I got the car in September, it had a minor problem (a small storage drawer that wouldn't stay closed) and I took it in. The dealership kept telling me it was a 'simple repair'. They said that every time I had to come back for the same thing. After 8 visits, which included 3 1/2 days off work, 2 Saturday mornings, 11 days of them keeping the car, damage done to the car by the technicians and insults by their loaner car guy, I finally thought the thing was OK. Wrong. The damn drawer that wouldn't stay closed now wasn't opening. I couldn't have pried it open with a crowbar. On top of that, more rattling noises were coming from the dash they had to replace after trashing it. They guaranteed no cheesy rattles would occur. Uh huh.

So, instead of going through another series of pseudo-repairs and headaches with the dorks at the dealership, I got rid of the thing. Yep, that's a bit nuts, but I'd had enough. I traded it in on an SUV and kissed the whole thing goodbye. Lost a bunch of money doing it, but by now, I couldn't even stand looking at the thing. I can't wait to let Mr. Big Cheese at the dealership know that I did it. He was so sure they would be able to keep me as a customer. (I've bought 4 cars from them in the past.) Ha! He must be blind. It's pretty simple, no service, no customers.

So now I'm starting over with a new vehicle, a notably higher payment and, barring another unforseen bad break, a more positive outlook. Sometimes you just have to say WTF and cut your losses. Last night was one of those times for me.

14 comments:

Me said...

Well congrats on the SUV! :)

Mr. Dealership probably won't care... and in fact might be happy that you got rid of it and they don't have to work on it anymore I guess. But still... you might want to let him know you bought a big expensive SUV from ANOTHER DEALERSHIP and you will never do business with them again.

:)

SJ said...

That was very 'car'ageous of you Bob. Did you say "Oh, 'truck' it!" and make a big decision? Or did it all just come 'auto'matically?

SJ said...

By the way, I just heard there's going to be a new cop show on TV about people who get bad car deals. It's going to be called "Law & Order: SUV"...

peachy said...

I can't believe you bought the truck last night! I should have known. You're impulsive sometimes but you really hated the car, so it's cool.

Ian-that was funny. hee hee.

I can't wait to see it. PS. No bday lunch for Spacebrain. We're waiting for you. Bye!!

Munch said...

Congrats.. Sometimes it feels good just to do it and be done with it.

JK said...

I was wondering the same thing as ropemonkey.

Cindy-Lou said...

Soemtimes I wish I wasn't such a cheapskate.

Yankeebob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yankeebob said...

Meritt, probably Mr. Dealership won't care, but I will love the idea of telling him all about the excellent treatment I found elsewhere.

Egghe, I'd love to have no payment too. This one should last me quite a while. You and that Hyundai. I preferred your pink truck. (Oops! Was I not supposed to mention that?)

Nah Spacebrain, I'm not 4-wheelin today. Last night in the snow was a different story though.....

Ian, you are too funny. Sometimes I wonder how you kkep those one-liners coming.

J, that is a great idea! I will send it to the salesman who I bought the last 4 cars from. He 'acted' concerned when I told him about that mess with the car.

Ian, that one will be my favorite show...

Yeah Peachy, I can be very impulsive. Especially when I'm tired of a situation like that one. The combination of not really liking the car and the goofballs in their service pushed me into it. (That's my story anyway.)

Veronica, I hope so too since I'm stuck with this one for 5 years. No way I can do it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Kathie, sounds like your Dad and I had similar experience and a similar reaction. Funny thing is, the maintenance costs of my GM car were the reason I got the lemon-mobile in the first place.

Autumn, that's where my mind was at last night. Just get it done and behind me.

Ropemonkey & Jermey, it's a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited with every option available. I also made sure it was Yankee blue so I can get one of those cool Yankee spare wheel covers for the back. I already got new Yankee license plate frames. ;)

grace said...

damn it! i couldn't post all day and now i don't remember what i was going to say ... *sigh*

what kinda suv did ya get?

and DON'T YOU DARE EVER PARK IN SPACES MARKED FOR COMPACT CARS OR I WILL GO OUT THERE AND BEAT YOU! :P

Yankeebob said...

Hey CL, what happened to that Magnum you were talking about getting?

Thanks Jen. I hope this works out better too.

Grace, I've been having a tough time posting today too. Again.

It's a Jeep Liberty Limited and it's not one of those really big ones. I didn't want a huge truck. Don't worry, I won't steal your parking space.

Cindy-Lou said...

A Magnum would cut my gas mileage in half, compared to my Civic. I just can't do it. One part cheapskate, one part environmentalist.

Jody said...

Evil conservative. Don't you know it's because of the OIL that we're in Iraq? Freakin' SUV drivers!

Just jokin' with ya, Bob. Don't get too high from the new car smell!

Summer said...

New cars are so exciting. Congratulations!!!!