Friday, March 18, 2005

A Good Night Out

Tonight Nicci and I felt like going out for dinner instead of hanging around the house eating the same old stuff. We went to this really cool old Tavern that has been there since the late 1700's. It's an awesome old building that has been many things including an Inn, a Tavern, a Hospital during the civil war and a blacksmith's shop. There is literature there explaining all the different things it's been and all the different owners.

The people there dress in the clothing of the late 1770's period and a lot of the food is made from recipes from that time. One dish is even called the Ben Franklin because it's what he had when he visited the place.

Tonight they even had a minstrel in period clothes with what looked to be an antique guitar of some kind. He was walking from room to room playing and entertaining everyone. When I first saw he was there I was hoping he would leave us alone but you know the old saying, wish in one hand - crap in the other.

He came into our room and talked with the accent of the times teasing me and the one other guy there about how we could possibly managed to have the company of such 'fine lasses'. He went on and on and was actually kind of funny. Then he started playing and tried to get us to join in singing to our women. At first he would say the words and then do the line over again, expecting us to be able to follow along. It took me a while to recognize it, but finally I was able to sing along when the chorus came. The song was The Last Farewell by Roger Whittaker. (Remember? "...for you are so beautiful and I have loved you dearly, more dearly than the spoken word can tell....")It's a pretty song, a bit melodramatic, but the way this guy did it made me want to sing along. It was fun. After the song, he bowed and went on into the next room. I found myself a little disappointed. Funny how I was hoping to avoid that scene and then I managed to enjoy it anyway.

I love old places like this one. I hear there is one in Gettysburg in a building just as old where each dining room is dome in a different era style. It's a big place and there are apparently many different rooms to check out. I'll have to do that one soon.

Tonight turned out better than I had hoped. The food was awesome and the place is amazing and now I'm stuffed, fat and happy. At least for one night.

No comments: