Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Who's Booze Is Best?

Did you ever notice how happy people can be when you agree with them? They also can be butts when you don't agree. I'm talking about agreeing with simple stuff too. Not necessarily something earth shattering.

Last night I stopped at a liquor store for my weekly donation to the Lottery fund (I will win someday!) and a young girl was there buying a case of Milwaukee's Best beer and some miniatures. In my mind I thought, "Now there's some nasty beer." But I said nothing.

Then a guy came up with a case of Guiness and a fifth of Absolute Citron. In my mind I was drooling at the Guiness and from out of nowhere I heard my voice saying, "Now that's the good stuff." (Again with the talking before thinking thing.) The guy looked at me and smiled and said, "Yep, nothing but the best!"

Now the girl pipes up and says, "I don't see how you can drink that shit! It's so nasty!" Then the owner starts in on her case of Milwaukee's Best being rot gut and the guy starts telling her the same thing and she starts picking at the guy for the Absolute (BTW, YB likes Absolute too.) and showing him her selections of miniatures, which she had 5 of and some were good ones, like Cuervo Gold. The owner starts laughing at both of them and brings out a bottle of Blackberry Brandy and starts telling them both that they are way off base. Then Guiness guy starts offering to do a taste test right there. He even starts to break out the Guiness and the girl is all over that, ready and willing to break into her $9.00 case of Milwaukee's beer. That's when the owner decides they better chill because he knows he can't allow them to have a drinking contest in his store.

The whole time I'm just standing there, watching and smiling, knowing that I started something quite entertaining and very much by accident.

This got me thinking about how agreeing with people will help you to make friends but disagreeing can get you the opposite. For instance, say you're in an elevator climbing to the 35th floor and there is someone there you've never met. They mention casually that the weather is nice and you respond in kind. Then a conversation can usually begin that will branch off to other topics and maybe a lunch and then maybe a new friend can be found.

But when the weather thing comes up and you respond with something like "I don't think so! It's too hot for me", usually the conversation has ended. No further questions, your honor.

These kinds of things are good to recognize. If you are like me (moody) and you choose to quickly end the conversation, just answer negatively when spoken to. Or don't bother to answer at all if you choose to come across like an a-hole. On the reverse, if the mood is good, you can make a new friend. Blow them off later if you choose. I think I've learned something valuable here.

Of course the antics at the liquor store could have ended up either way. Maybe the Guiness Guy and the Milwaukee Chick could have gotten together after doing a taste test. Who knows? Booze can change everything.

I enjoyed the 'Best Booze Challenge' that I inadvertantly instigated last night. It's not often that you can stumble into something entertaining and educational at the same time.

BTW, I still didn't win the Lottery. I'll try again later this week. Maybe there will be some more funny booze buyers there to strike up a conversation with.

No comments: