Sunday, October 17, 2004

100 Things About Me

I've seen this done on many blogs. Karen and my other Yankee Blogger buds have inspired me to try. (I know Cap’n, I took the longest to finish. I’ll be swabbing the deck this day.)

1. I am a Yankee. (Let's get the obvious out first.) It's an obsession that I willingly embrace. There is a difference between being a Yankee and being a fan. The difference is that a Yankee knows the truth, that there is The Yankees and there are 29 other teams trying to live up to the Yankee standard. I am a Yankee.

2. I'm a hack musician. I play guitar, base and viola. I've been in bands, managed a band, been a roadie and written and recorded my own music. Nothing too spectacular, but it was fun.

3. I'm opinionated. (Duh!)

4. I'm extremely loyal to my friends.

5. I started and quit Art School 3 times. That is where my true talent is, but I have never embraced it.

6. I prefer being alone.

7. I think marriage is boring.

8. I have a pretty high I.Q. Hasn't gotten me any further ahead because.....

9. I'm not highly motivated to make millions. The search for the money tree has never been a priority. I'll leave that to Trump.

10. I have 2 brothers that I never see or miss but I miss my sister daily.

11. I'd love to do Fear Factor.

12. I'm in love with Sandra Bullock. (I know she wants me. She just hasn't figured it out yet.)

13. I think Soccer is really stupid.

14. I'm a big fan of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

15. I hate boy bands.

16. I believe in God and that Jesus died for me.

17. I love old movies.

18. I once hit a girl in the face defending my sister. There were three of them trying to hurt her. Afterward, I ran behind the bushes and cried for an hour. It was the last fight I was in. I was 13.

19. My dream car is a 1963 Impala SS. I had one once. Gave it up to save a relationship. Pure stupidity.

20. My heritage is easily traced. I'm 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian, 1/4 German and 1/4 Cherokee. The Irish part of my family were the founders of Pottstown PA. (Potts being the original family name.)

21. I miss my Grandmother. She taught me about treating women decently and thinking independently.

22. My Father looked a lot like Elvis.

23. I believe that Pepsi is the elixer of life and that Spaghetti O's were invented just for me.

24. I think that racism is a form of insanity.

25. I think people that can't function outside a relationship are pathetic.

26. I think it would be very cool to be friends with Sheryl Crow.

27. I love scary movies.

28. I fall in and out of love easily. (It’s probably not love, but infatuation. It happens a lot.)

29. I wish Paul O'Neill still played right field.

30. The one and only time (so far) I went to Yankee Stadium I was in such awe! Walking out of the entrance and seeing the field for the first time, I just stood and stared. I couldn’t move.

31. I think Seinfeld was the best show ever on television.

32. The 1999 Yankees were and still are my favorite Yankee team.

33. I’m a pack-rat. I call it collecting. Others call it junk.

34. My family and I were getting into the car one day to go home and I envisioned the door shutting on my sister’s foot. Then it did. Scared me a lot. I thought I made it happen.

35. I’ve been to Denmark and Sweden. They are amazing places, especially Sweden.

36. I once went to a biker friends Halloween party dressed as a bag of leaves.

37. I love cartoons/comics. Notably Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes, Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo.

38. I despise coconut and tomatoes.

39. I love meeting new people and making new friends, but…..

40. I have a tendency to be very private and don’t allow people to get to know me too quickly. But once I believe you are a friend, it’s a life long thing.

41. I wonder just what drives people to be politicians.

42. I prefer Rock music, but my friends used to call me Ballad Bob because I liked slow songs too.

43. I will sit in the same position until I cramp if the Yankees are winning a game. What, me superstitious?

44. I visited New York City on September 11 2000. My friend and I went to the World Trade Center to touch the buildings just to say we were there.

45. I had really long hair in high school. When tied back, the ponytail reached to the center of my back. (Ah, those were the days.) Now it’s leaving me, but I’m not really concerned about it.

46. My favorite toy when I was a kid was a Micro Machine Racer, a tiny little race car. I got it in 5th grade. I still have it.

47. I can make myself sneeze by looking at the sun. Sometimes it only takes a bright light.

48. I have never been more excited by anything as much as the ending of Game 7, 2003 ALCS. Aaron Boone will forever be etched in my memory as a bona-fide hero. It took me weeks to come down off the high. That was the Yankees World Series that year.

49. My neighbors are a lesbian couple. I like them a lot. We play golf together. One of them is close to being a golf pro. Her partner kicks my butt regularly.

50. It took me 20 years to realize that women liked the idea of sex too.

51. My blood type is O negative. They tell me it’s a little rare. They send it to hospitals for use with newborn babies. That makes me kinda proud.

52. I think The Simpsons is still super cool.

53. I think Dean Martin was an awesome singer.

54. A Christmas Story is almost my favorite Christmas show, next to A Charlie Brown Christmas and It’s A Wonderful Life, which still gives me tears even after seeing it 8000 times.

55. I remember exactly where I was when Bucky Dent broke the Boston fans hearts in 1978. I still remember the look on Don Zimmer’s face too. It was great.

56. I hate shopping for shopping’s sake, with the exception of going to Border’s or cruising antique shops.

57. My hero when I was young was Willie Randolf. (I played second too.) I’d love to meet him.

58. I have autographed baseballs from David Cone and Andy Pettitte. They signed them after the 1998 season.

59. My favorite color is Orange.

60. I can’t pick a favorite song although I think the lyrics to Time Stand Still by Rush are my favorite.

61. I have had a crush on a friend for years. I wish we had met under different circumstances.

62. I’m confused by anyone who doesn’t like the Yankees. I just don’t get it!

63. Three of my favorite women friends are Jersey girls. As a result, I have a weakness for Jersey girls now.

64. My real weakness (in the looks department) is a woman with black hair and blue eyes.

65. I wear an Emerald earring. It’s my birthstone.

66. I think extreme liberalism and extreme conservatism are both equally detrimental to everyone.

67. I think the term ‘Diva’ is extremely over-used. It’s become cheap and meaningless.

68. I think Jessica Simpson is adorable. I just can’t listen to her singing too long. (It’s the style, not the talent.)

69. I miss silly TV shows like Gilligan’s Island, Get Smart, Soap and Parker Lewis Can’t Lose. Silly is fun sometimes.

70. I prefer almost all food cold. I’ll even order pizza one day to have it the next day cold. Left over spaghetti sandwiches are awesome!

71. My four favorite artists are John Singer Sargent, Claude Monet, Harrison Fisher and M.C. Escher. I’m currently working on painting an Escher that will cover the entire wall of the upstairs spare room/study.

72. I’ve never gotten a foul ball at a game. I really want one.

73. I love PEZ. I have many PEZ Dispensers including a Charlie Brown one that is over a foot tall and plays the Peanuts Theme when you get some candy out. It holds about twenty packs of PEZ.

74. I never go anywhere without something Yankee showing. I have 22 different Yankee shirts, two sweatshirts, 17 different Yankee hats, Yankee socks, Yankee pins on my jackets, golf bag and softball bag. My wallet and checkbook are embroidered with the Yankee emblem and my watch is a Cooperstown Collection 1952 Yankee replica. I have Yankee license plate frames on my car. I leave no doubt as to where my heart lies.

75. These people share my birthday: Vincent Price, Wild Bill Hickok, Louis Gossett Jr., Christopher Lee, Sam Snead, Peri Gilpin, Frank Thomas and David Duchovny.

76. I always wanted to try surfing.

77. I had a fling in high school with a teacher. It was pretty cool. I had no idea at the time what I had gotten into.

78. I like independent women. That’s a sexy trait.

79. I can’t read one book at a time. I usually have two going at the same time and they usually are opposite types.

80. I once hit a walk-off home run in a game when I was a kid.

81. I’m the same height now that I was in 8th grade. 5’ 6”. I grew quickly, then quit.

82. These are a few of my favorite things: The Yankees (I know, that doesn’t count as mine), my Alvarez, my huge crayon collection, my basement (it’s mine alone, a refuge), my digital camera, Nicci, my friends, my cool Looney Tunes Tiffany lamp, my record collection (yep, real records), this blog.

83. Math sucks. This seems to be a common theme with my Yankee blogger buds. I was an average math, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry student. (Frequently below average.) I excelled at all the language arts.

84. Places I have to visit before dying: Niagara Falls, The Grand Canyon, The Garden District of New Orleans, Hollywood (see #12), Australia, Ireland & Greece.

85. My favorite comedians: Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, Ellen Degeneres, Chris Rock & Drew Carey

86. I think Brian Cashman should be in the Hall of Fame.

87. My best friends are usually female. I have 3 guy friends that I can honestly say are ‘best buds’, all of whom I’ve known for about 2 decades, but the majority of my close friends are women.

88. I used to work out daily and then run two miles. After an achilles injury, I became a lazy bum. Now I’m 30 pounds heavier and full of excuses.

89. I believe that Yankee Stadium is hallowed ground. Anyone messing with it will have to be beaten down hard. (You listening George?)

90. I tend to be brutally honest and speak my mind before I think. No malice intended, but sometimes I hurt people’s feelings before I know what is happening.

91. I agree with Shannon, hot, gooey, fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies are almost orgasmic.

92. I wish I had met Marilyn Monroe.

93. I think the Beatles are sooo hugely over-rated. To me, they are just average.

94. Christmas is almost my favorite time of year, next to opening day. But the atmosphere during Christmas is the best.

95. I have had dogs, but I prefer cats. I have one that fetches and plays hide and go seek. She’s very cool. (Get it? A cool cat.)

96. The kid inside me usually wins over the adult. I find the adult world annoying.

97. I love ‘B’ movies. The kind you see on Mystery Science Theater. Plan 9 From Outer Space is one of my favorites. Also, the low budget movies that the SciFi Channel produces are great!

98. I’m very comfortable in crowds.

99. I like my current career although it’s not where I think I should be.

100. I think Disco sucked the first time around and it is worse now. Stop the insanity!

11 comments:

Matthew said...

Bob,

I hope someday you get into an Impala SS and drive up to NYC for a Yankee game.

Great list.

Later.

JK said...

Good list. That looks like it took some serious effort, and time. I picked up your link from Cindy-Lou. I'm Canadian so the baseball usually doesn't rate as high as hockey (just the way things go). With the lack of hockey this year, I have been watching basball, and I like the Yankees way more than Boston. I hate Pedro, and Manny. I think they are huge asses. I like A-Rod. I know he is overpaid, but ya know.... he seems like a genuinly nice guy.

Go Yankees.

Yankeebob said...

Sorry Cindi-Lou. I get a lot of flak for my opinion of the Beatles. I do like some of their songs but I don't see anything so special about any of them. I'm told their popularity is mainly due to the era. Could be. But they still are pretty popular.

peachy said...

I was reading and trying to see if there was anything I knew about you that I didn't see on your list. You did a pretty good job. One of these days I'll make one.

Karen said...

Swab the deck? Never! There's no manual labor aboard the Mystique and Aura. For Yankee fans anyway.

Awesome list. I'll join you in the beat-down should anyone mess with Yankee Stadium.

Me said...

I love reading the 100 lists on peoples blogs.
You learn so much about them... find things that you have in common, are suprised by things, laugh out loud by things and find things you are completely opposite in.

Thanks for posting!

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Oh my gorsh! I am astonished by how many things I read that I yelled out "Me too!" to. Crazy world we live in. I especially love the fact that you mentioned MST3K and the crappy movies on the sci-fi channel. Oh! And that you read two books at once. I just thought I was crazy! Anywho, I will have to work on a Mel Mega-size list of my own.

You're an inspiration, Bob! An inspiration!

Yankeebob said...

Glad you stopped by Mel. I think everyone in blogland should do a 100 things list. I hesitated at first, but in the end it was fun. I look forward to seeing yours.

Katy said...

Scary. I am late for work sometimes because I am watching the back to back Buffy's on SCI-FI.
My birthstone is an emerald.
My cat can play fetch too.
I am very hard to get to "know".
I am also part Irish - grandmother's maiden name - Connor.
I think Seinfeld is a reflection of life - I can't tell you how many times those things realy happened to me.

There were others too. Crazy.

Amy S. Petrik said...

holy shit. my blood type is "o negative" too.
and i also think "seinfeld" was the best show ever on the boob tube.
i am also very loyal to my friends, a very private person and most times i prefer to be alone.

groovy green gumdrops.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »