Friday, October 22, 2004

Some Old Shows I Miss

This idea comes from some comments/discussions stemming from my 100 things list;

Favorite TV shows I miss:

1. Parker Lewis Can’t Lose

Starred Corin Nemec. The show where ‘coolness’ was the catch phrase. It had the greatest asides and sound effects. Like when they would look away quickly and you would hear the swooshing of their head turning. I thought it was pretty unique. My favorite character was Principal Grace Musso. Every time she slammed, pointed to or looked harshly at her office door, the glass would shatter. Now for #2, everyone synchronize swatches…

2. Almost Live

The first place I saw Bill Nye the Science Guy. This show had so much crazy stuff. My 2 faves are:
1. The skit called Ineffectual Middle Management Suckups. Middle Management types that always were at meetings and every item that came up they would handle by scheduling more meetings to talk about it. (True corporate America.)
2. Billy Kuan, the martial arts guy. They talked out of sync, got into ridiculous kung fu type fights and the ending always resulted in Billy doing a flying kick that would go on forever before it connected, including around corners and over obstacles. It was great.

3. The Kids In The Hall

Possibly my all time favorite. The "kids" are Bruce McCulloch, Dave Foley, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney, and Scott Thompson. This show was so different and innovative with so many awesome characters that I can’t possibly name them all here. I love the Headcrusher guy, especially the episode where he had a duel with the Face pincher guy. The Eradicator, 30 Helens agree, Buddy Cole, the list goes on and on.

4. MST 3000

I know it’s still available, but I miss Joel Hodgson. I liked him best.

5. Get A Life

Starred Chris Elliot. A goofy show about a full grown man who still lives with his parents and his only job is the same paper route he’s had since childhood. He still delivers papers on his bike.

I first hated this show because I thought it was soooo dumb, but after watching it the first time, I found myself wondering all week long what the next stupid plot would be. That’s how I got hooked.

6. Son Of The Beach

A crazy show about a lifeguard that saves the world time and again. A spoof of Baywatch. Totally silly and the most obvious sexual innuendo’s you will ever see anywhere. Loved the cast and the stupidity. What can you expect from a Howard Stern production?

I guess looking over this list I’ve noticed that when I’m not watching baseball, I prefer comedy. The more silly the better. It does excuse you from reality for a while. Probably why I like it. We all need a break from reality every now and then, eh?

7 comments:

Me said...

Holding my thumb and finger an inch apart as I look at you and say, "I crusha you head!" LOL. Dh and I used to have head crushing fights. ;) I liked that show.

peachy said...

I think I have watched Kids in the Hall, Parker Lewis and Get a Life only once. They are ok. It's a weird humor that I'm not really into I guess. Or maybe..they were on against 90210. Did I say that out loud? I need to get a life. hee hee.

Katy said...

There used to be a show on with Jonathan Winters in it where he was a dad that lived with his son and grandson. I LOVED this show and it was only on for maybe 2 seasons.
I also miss The Cosby Show, Family Ties, and stuff like that-these things are still funny in reruns too.

Yankeebob said...

Yep Smashlee, I like those shows too. I just listed the ones that I don't see anymore. I still get to see Cosby regularly if I want to. I love that one.

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Oh my god! CL and I are on some weird level together. Once I saw Kids in the Hall, I couldn't wait to post my one-word comment: LOPEZ!

Damn, Cindy, you kill me. I also state on a daily basis "30 Helens agree..." usually as a preface to some sort of opinionated comment. I miss that show.

One more thing I always say from that show: "Right now...Kids in France are drunk!"

Yankeebob said...

Wow! A lot of Kids fans. I could talk Kids for hours. Remember the 'Girl Drink Drunk'? And the angry teen (I think the character was called Ricky) writing the song for his girlfriend Fire Fire Fire, Fire in my brain! I also loved the character Da'Rell. (I'm not sure on the spelling.) And the kid who would ask thousands of questions and spit out tons of useless facts when someone was trying to talk to him. Hey wait, that was my boss last week!

Love the Kids!

Lynn said...

*hanging my head in shame*

I never watched much Kids in the Hall. Heard of it, though, and I do remember the "crushing your head" skit. I still crush my kids' heads. They think I'm nuts.

I did watch Parker Lewis though. And Square Pegs. (Way back when Sara Jessica was normal-sized!)

My list would have to include Freaks and Geeks (Great tunes! Might have to pick that up on DVD.) and The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

Now I'm gonna be thinking about old TV shows all day . ..