Thursday, October 14, 2004

ESPN Is Losing It (Again)

I know I’ve bitched before about what ESPN decides is a sport. (Remember, they plan on televising the World Championships of Thumb Wrestling next year.) Well, I just saw on ESPN2 the Scrabble World Championships. Yep, Scrabble.

Now, I’ve been known to play the game at times. It’s OK. Kinda slow. But to have 2 people playing and to televise it? Please! When I came across it, the commentator was talking real excitedly about what every next move might bring, almost like it was a boxing match or something. It was actually hilarious!

When I first saw it, I thought it was a joke, like one of those funny beer commercials or something. Or one of those Geico commercials that start out looking like a real show. Nope, they were serious.

What’s next, the National Book Reading Championships? Like: The play by play man whispers; “Wow Mel, did you see that page turning? This reader is really cooking now!”

Sheesh!

3 comments:

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Do you see the effects a lack of hockey is having on the world!??! We are forced to watch CRAP on ESPN instead of hockey! GAH! I hate it!! I am sooooo tortured!! You thank the NHL for the scrabble we are forced to watch! I'm upset now, must have an Amstel...

Claudine said...

you are wise.

Katy said...

Yeah, I nearly keeled over when I found out that Trampoline was in the olympics...