Sunday, October 10, 2004

I Feel Divorced


I spent the day yesterday with one of my best friends. She was once married to another of my best friends, but that didn’t work out. She is a unique person, to say the very least. When we're together, we have this weird chemistry where we just can't stop making each other laugh. We don’t get together so much anymore, so when we do, it’s always special. I also got to see my Godson and share some time, so it was a good day.

I was best man in this ex-couple’s wedding. They honored me by asking me to be the Godfather to their only child, whom I love dearly. My relationship with both of them means a lot to me. We’ve known each other for nearly 17 years. Now everything is different.

Isn’t it weird when close friends get divorced? You kind of feel like you are divorced too. Now there are two different homes to visit. There is the fine line of remaining friends with both. The art of trying to remember two schedules, etc… It’s like, good friends share in the relationship and they also share in the end of it.

Recently another couple I know that have been very good friends for almost the same amount of time have split. They too are now in two different cities and their friendship also means a great deal to me. Now we get to be divorced all over again. It’s kinda weird.

The good thing about all of this is the adult way both couples are handling their splits. They still get along well. There isn’t any of the pitting friend against friend stuff you hear about sometimes. As individuals, they are all good people. That has translated into being good friends. Still, I feel a little sad when a visit is now with just one or the other. They are moving on, hopefully to better things. Hopefully to a place where they are happy. Things are just different.

This is harder to explain than I thought it would be. All I know is that I feel divorced too.



No comments: