Friday, October 01, 2004

What A Day!

I was off work today thanks to the generosity of my boss. Two of us went into work last Saturday to do a job that 1) he needed done right the first time and 2) he preferred us doing. There is a trust issue lurking between the big guy and the group that should handle projects like the one my partner and I did. So when we got the thing done and everything was OK, he gave us a freebie day off. Well, me not wanting to disappoint Mr. Bigcheese, I took him up on his offer.

This turned out to be a weird day off. I did nothing. I had big plans for the day, like building a better toaster or inventing something cool like SpaghettiO flavored pop-tarts, but nothing came to fruition. The toughest thing I've done today is mow the grass. Whew! (And I love mowing grass.)

For a while this evening I thought about it and was feeling a little guilty. A whole day and I didn't accomplish anything of consequence. Then I realized that all the little things I did amounted to a pretty OK day, so now I don't feel so bad. It was a mental health day that I actually used as a mental health day. I just didn't realize it till now. So I'm writing this incredibly boring post to declare this day accomplished. "This day has been accomplished." Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

Besides, like 'The Little Prince' I prefer not to get too tied up with matters of consequence. When I do, I miss some of the life that passes me by. And who's to say blowing off a day once in a while can't be a 'matter of consequence'? Sometimes it really is.

No comments: