Thursday, November 04, 2004

Bye Bye Bobby

So now Robert Redford is saying he's leaving the country. He'll move to Ireland to get away from George Bush. I've been hearing stories like this a lot lately. The problem I have with it is simple, this is the greatest country in the world and people want to leave because the majority of voters did their duty and voted. Pay attention now, we have the right to decide who our leader is. The system is set up where the majority rules, and most times it does. The majority chose. Whether you think it was a good choice or not, you are still American.

Now some people are going to be bummed if their idea of a good candidate loses. Some will be happy if their guy wins. After all is said and done, we still live in the greatest country in the world where we can have our voice heard. Many others don't have that ability. But they want to leave and go somewhere they will have no say at all. Real smart.

To me, leaving because you don't agree with the majority vote is like abandoning your mother because she corrected you for something. It's a curious reaction and I can't understand it. The truth is most of the crybabies that are leaving (probably all talk) agreed with most of us that voted, this was a 'lesser of 2 evils election' again. That's the true problem with the whole system. We have to choose between 2 people that, given another alternative selection, would probably lose in a landslide.

If you don't like the system, stay and help fix it. We need more than just 2 parties to choose from. Otherwise, half the country will be moving back and forth between home and another country every 4 years. And who says the new place wants quitters to move in anyway? That's not too good on your resume: He was active in the electoral process, but when his guy lost he left the country crying like a baby. Sheesh!

I say to Boo Hoo Bobby, Go! Go quick and don't come back. Quitters suck. Cry babies suck. I'm not enthralled with the end result either, but at least I know that this is still the right place for me. (And pick somewhere else to go. I happen to love Ireland and you shouldn't be allowed to stink up the place.)

3 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

No kidding. How hard can Robert Redford's life really be? Oh look at me, I'm rich and famous, boo-hoo.

Sara said...

Nicely said. I am a liberal Democrat and I strongly believe in the system. The majority of Americans want George W. Bush as their President. My canidate did not win. I am really tired of the political negativity in BLOGLAND. People have the right to write what they want on their blogs, but just like in real life, I wish people understood that they can be respectful and nice and still get their point across...just like you did today, Yankeebob. Thanks.

peachy said...

Thank you Sara.
I haven't been voting a long time, but I have never seen such an uproar over two candidates. The people that lost just have to accept it, and the people that won just have to accept it. I still don't think everyone is 100% happy, but there's not much we can do to change the election. We just have to get out in our neighborhoods and do what we can to make the US the best it can be.