Saturday, November 13, 2004

Songs From The Heart

I noticed this morning that Nicci was walking around the house singing a song and she was singing the words wrong. We’ve all done that at least once in our lives, I’m sure. Sometimes it bugs me, but since Nicci is not from this country, she always gets a free pass.

This started me thinking (I wonder how many times I’ve written that phrase on this blog?) about how I sometimes change the words of a song just for fun. Sometimes I just start singing the wrong words and then I realize that I did and start laughing about it. There have been times where someone would see me start laughing for no apparent reason and I would be embarrassed. Oh well.

There are a few songs I repeatedly change the words to for specific reasons. Like when someone does something stupid and screws up at work. This usually means quite a bit of repeated work for a lot of people and definitely a loss of bucks for the company. At those times I start singing “Cheeseburger In Paradise” but not quite the same words. In my mind it goes: “Dick Cheeses & Parasites, can’t seem to get anything right, a smack in the head would be so nice for those Dick Cheeses & Parasites.”

Yeah, it’s no Grammy winner, but it makes me feel better.

Sometimes when a certain individual walks by at work (a secret crush), I hear the Theme from “Gilligan’s Island” in my head, but not the same words: “Just step right back and you’ll see a tail, like none you’ve seen before. She’s all sweet from head to feet and she’s coming through the door.”

Yeah, another show stopping tune. But it’s fun.

I know I’m not alone doing this. My partner at work does it all the time. Sometimes he gets me laughing really hard with his ‘altered renditions.’

I guess it’s kind of scary knowing what lurks in people’s minds sometimes. With this post and this one from a while back, I bet those whom I work with that read this blog will be watching me a bit closer from now on. Maybe I shouldn’t give up so many secrets.

6 comments:

SJ said...

"Beelzebub has a Devil for a sideboard" - Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

Cindy-Lou said...

I used to change the word "you" to "Ang" in any and all songs, just to bug the crap out of Ang.

Me said...

Very well written. Or is it wrote?
Well wrote.
Yep that sounds ok.

So... where is Nicci from and what was she singing?

The one that comes to mind for me is one my brother used to sing. Back in the 80's a popular song was Amadaeus... you know it... admit it. LOL - (Amadaeus Amadaeus! Rock me Amadaeus!) Well I heard my brother happily singing at the top of his lungs: "Hot potatoes hot potatoes! Hot potatoes!"

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Hee! During the World Series, I heard Little Bear sing the words "...from the mountains, to the porridge..."

Hee hee! And Cake has a song that goes "Satan is my motor" but I always thought it was "Satan is my modem"...so everytime I have trouble connecting online, that song goes through my head.

By the way, I like to sing songs to fit the mood. People will say things and before I can help myself, I am singing the appropriate song...weird.

Me said...

mel mega... I do the SAME thing. I know the lyrics to a kazillion songs (although I can't tell you who sings most of them, I can sing every word of the song!) and there is a song to fit almost EVERY occasion in life. :) Dh and even had a car-game that he thinks of a topic, noun, etc. and I would come up with a song for it. I was briefly stumped for a song about a 'garage' and he won that round but ironically I was flipping through the radio the next day and heard one. I HAD to tell him of course. ;)

I burst into song for every occasion. LOL.

Yankeebob said...

Mel & Meritt, I sing for just about every occasion too. 9Not always where anyone can hear.) There is a song for everything. It's fun to try to pick songs for different moments like Meritt was saying she and her guy do.

Meritt, Nicci is from South Africa. That English sounding accent gets me. I can't remember what she was singing yesterday, but it usually makes me smile.

I taught her this one: I can't get no, vacuum action... Stones anyone? (She cleans house on the weekends.)