Sunday, November 14, 2004

Giant Cookies

I'm just sitting here munching a giant chocolate chip cookie and catching up with all the blog buds. This cookie is great. It's about 8" across and at least 1/2" thick. It's a leftover from a small gathering we had last night. It's kind of medium soft, not crunchy but not too chewey. Perfect. And I have several more leftover. This will be a good day!

Last night we had 2 other couples over for dinner and catching up. All friends for years. One of the guys is a friend I've known for about 18 years. Geez, where does the time go? Anyway, what's unique about he and his wife (one thing, I should say) is that they were married the same day Nicci and I were. We had a sunrise service in a park that was very high up and you could see for miles across the lower areas below. They came, we did the ceremony, had the catered breakfast, then we went to their wedding that afternoon. It was outside also and much bigger. It was quite a day. Then we all went to the same island for our honeymoon along with another couple that were close friends. It was a good week.

They ended up bringing their youngest child with them (about 6-7 years old?) and I was thinking about the day after she was born. I went in to see how everyone was and the nurses were taking Mom away for something as I was getting there, so I ended up sitting alone in the room with the new addition in my arms for about 30 minutes. (Dad had to go with her.) I was scared to death. This kid was less than 1 day old. I had held only one baby before this and it's just not my thing. They are so tiny and fragile and it freaks me out. But I remember that day and how much it didn't suck.

Now here she is, reading to me from "The Cat In The Hat", (Reading!) one of my personal faves, by the way. Weird. Seems like yesterday that we were stuck together by fate and abandoned by everyone else in that hospital room. Me forced to enjoy a moment that I desperately tried to avoid all my life. And I did enjoy it very much. What was I afraid of anyway? Maybe I'm getting old? Probably, but only physically.

I still aviod those situations, by the way. I like kids that call somewhere else home. I guess I've never wanted kids of my own. Too much responsibility for someone like me. I tend to be a bit egocentric too, so that wouldn't work. But I do love to visit with the kids. They like me because I'm not as serious as a lot of adults. Kids should be kids, no matter what the age. That's my motto.

There must be something in this cookie. This is not the direction I thought this post would go. Oh well, go where the wind blows, I guess.

Anyway, thanks to my good friends for another lesson learned. And thanks to little M for the wonderful memory. (Yeah, I know you didn't do anything but lay there. I still appreciate it though.)

And thanks to the giant cookie for being so good and not being the last one.

3 comments:

Dgrasiaiiita said...

Hello, I am also a Yankee fan, luckly I live by Yankee stadium.. only a few blocks, if you ever come to a yankee game you are always welcome here you have a friend!

Cindy-Lou said...

What a sweet guy you are. It's really cool that you don't hold back.

peachy said...

Mmmmm..cookies...:)