Monday, November 01, 2004

“Have You Really Lived?…The Yankee Fan Edition.”

“Have You Really Lived?…The Yankee Fan Edition.” Via Cap’n Karen
(KB’s answers in italics. Mine in bold letters.)

You…

Remember what it was REALLY like to have a bad pitching staff.
All too much. Steve Farr, John Habian, Scott Sanderson…shudder….
Other than Louisana Lightnin' Ron Guidry, how about most of the 80's?

Have done something completely bizarre, like wear a bag on your head in the hopes of spurring on a rally.
I just outted myself here as a freak, haven’t I?
Let’s see, how many things can I list and not run out of blog space…..?

Witnessed a Yankee game in person.
The coolest way to watch a game, of course.
Only once. (heavy sigh.) This is a temporary situation. I’m going for sure next year.

Witnessed a Yankee game in person in the following locations:
Tier -- check
Loge -- check
Main – check Main reserved
Field
Bleachers -- check
Steinbrenner’s box In my dreams many times

Been to Monument Park
On several occasions.
Once. It was like a religious experience.

Been to the Yogi Berra Museum
Not yet.

Traveled to where the Yanks are playing to see them.
Uncountable times. Mainly Camden Yards.

Kept score at a game.
I have but it can sometimes be distracting. Keeping a journal is much easier.
Nah. It is too distracting. I’m too into the game.

Stayed home just to watch a YES Network presentation (non-Yankee game)
The first time Tales of Triumph: The 2003 ALCS was on.
Unfortunately, I don’t have YES. If I did, I might not leave the house very often.

Spent an entire day watching back-to-back Yankeeographies.
I’ve sat and watched the videos from the 1977 & 1978 series. Then the 1996 series and the 1998 ‘Season of Their Lives’ video back to back to back…..

Sung along to New York, New York after a game.
The Sinatra version, yes. The Liza version, I’m too busy biting my fist from frustration at having to hear it.
Absolutely. I sang it all day long after the 2003 ALCS ended. I don’t listen to the Liza version. By that time, I’ve turned off the TV.

Heard New York, New York at like a wedding or some other DJ’d affair and the first thing that comes to mind is “Ooh, Yankees!”
And I’ve actually been places where other Yankee fans blurt this out before me. I hang out with some good people, I tell you.
Yes. And I need friends like Karen.

Sent your favorite player a fan letter… Nope.

…And actually gotten a response. Nope.

Met a Yankee. I wish.

Hung out with a Yankee. I really, really wish.

Been dead tired, but on cloud nine because the Yankees did something good the night before.
Ah, yes. Many a time.
Unlike many other teams, The Yankees provide for many an opportunity.

Watched Old Timer’s Day and have been majorly freaked out to find a player you grew up watching is now considered an “Old Timer.”
Kevin Maas this year. That was rough.
The first time I saw Bucky Dent.

Been outside of New York and cheered the Yankees in public.
Yes, in Delaware
Loudly in Baltimore.

Been in Boston and cheered the Yankees in public.
I’ve only been to Boston once, but it was in winter. I will probably kill myself before I ever have to go back.
I’ve never been there, but I agree with KB’s opinion about going.

Bought a friend or family member’s child Yankee merchandise in the hopes of converting them.
Yep. My best friends first nephew. They threw the stuff away.

Named your pet after a Yankee.
My Cockateil is named Pauley, after Paul O’Neill. Had a Budgie named Jeter.

Gave serious thought to naming your kid after a Yankee.
Don’t have kids. Don’t want any. But if I did, I would try, depending on the Mother. (How about 7 as a name?)

Actually named your kid after a Yankee. See above.

You are named after a Yankee. No, but my nickname on the softball team was Jeter. (Nope, I’m no where near that good.)

Thought of moving somewhere outside NYC, but only if you could get Yankee games there via satellite.
No, but dealt with barely any coverage in Delaware, which was four years too many.
Never lived there.

Ditched work or school to catch a game.
Yes, but I’ve never lied about it. I was out sick for the Yanks home opener in 2003, but I was all feverish on my couch, not at the game like everyone probably thought.
A few times. Actually more than a few. OK, I lost count.

Wished someone a Happy Opening Day, Happy All-Star Break or Happy Playoffs.
Yes, and I bake cupcakes for Opening Day and cookies for the All-Star Break as well.
Yes. But I don’t bake. I have bought rounds of beers for those occasions though.

Defended the Yankees to a blowhard who hates them.
You all read this blog. You know what I’m capable of.
Constantly.

Watched a Yankee game muted or in Spanish just so you don’t have to hear annoying announcers.
Any time a Fox game is on, and sometimes use the iPod if YES announcers are bothering me.
Like KB, anytime the boys are on FOX. Also, most times when they are on the O’s network and blowhard Jim Palmer is the announcer.

Called up a sports talk radio station to discuss the Yankees. Nope.

Had a letter you wrote about the Yanks published in magazine/newspaper. Nope.

Can name all the years the Yankees have won a championship title. Almost had it. Damn.

Can name all the Yankee retired numbers.
Yes.
Yes.

Have cried over the Yankees.
I plead the Fifth.
Did you see Game 7 of the 2001 WS?

Have gotten in a huge fight over the Yankees.
No, but I’ve been extremely peeved over things other people have said to my face.
Absolutely. In Camden Yards. Lucky for me it didn't get too physical.

Not paid attention to something someone was saying because a game was on.
For the most part, people know better than to talk to me during big games, and I know to do the same for my other sports fan friends. However, there have been occasions when I’ve…been a little distracted….
If the Yankees are on, there is no way to get my attention. Many have tried, all have failed.

Subscribed to Yankees Magazine.
Used to, but not anymore.
Same as KB.

Get at least one Yankee-related item as a gift at the holidays or on your birthday.
Moreso in Championship years when Yankee merchandise is all over the place.
Usually at least one of the holidays.

Ordered something from the Franklin Mint that was Yankee related. Nope.

Watched the late edition of Sports Center two times in a row or more to see Yankee highlights.
Yes, the Aaron Boone game. Luckily, I had off from work the next day.
Always. Even the morning editions.

Have a pre-game routine.
At games, yes. Not so much when I’m watching on TV.
Yep. One would think I was a player.

Feel torn when a former Yankee you loved is playing them on a new team.
Yes. Sigh.
Ditto.

Belong to a Yankee message board. Nope.

Caught a foul ball at a Yankee game. Not yet. I still hope.

Broken up with someone for being a fan of a rival team.
No, but this probably should’ve been the reason…
No, but if they were a certain team’s fan (rhymes with dead sox) they wouldn’t get far with me.

Not dated someone for being a fan of a rival team. See above.

Converted a significant other into a Yankee fan.
No, but I just realized I’ve only ever dated one guy who was a Yankee fan. The rest? Not so much. That’s so not right.
No.

Made a sign to take to a game. Nope.

Save newspapers from big games.
Yes, and I have a bin for them at my parents’ house that’s almost too full.
Rarely, but yes.

Can pick a front-runner Yankee fan out from a mile away.
I’m pretty good at this. But mostly after conversing with said “fan” for a few minutes.
It’s not too hard for a real Yankee.

Have made friends after bonding over the Yankees.
Man, I have several of those!
Ditto!


2 comments:

Karen said...

We so have to get you the YES Network down there. Yes, you can live without it, but once you have it...oh man, it's a godsend for Yankee fans. Especially when they're showing old "classic" games during the winter. Though your viewing of the videos could probably also pass a cold day nicely!

Matthew said...

Excellent responses. The 1996 WS video is my favorite. I can't get enough of "Pinstripe Destiny." Al Trautwig enters right and in his strong voice says "Welcome to Yankee Stadium... in the Bronx... New York." Classic! Almost as good as the first lines from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." ["Dismount!" "Herman's horse-sick."]

Later.