Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Dump Trucks With Names

Have you noticed that those huge dump trucks all have names on the back gate now? Painted there in huge letters so clear to see as they speed around you. I wonder who gets to pick the names? These trucks are terrors on the road. The drivers run right up into your trunk, speed around like they are in an Indy car and their tires throw junk all over your car. I hate to see one coming. It’s amazing to me the speed they travel.

But the names are pretty colorful. I’ve seen ‘The Grim Reaper’, ‘Tonka Toy’, ‘Pappy’s Baby’, ‘Outta The Way’, ‘Just Passin Thru’ and many more. It’s kind of a cool idea. It really helps me feel better to see ‘Wild Thing’ printed on the back of a maniac driver’s truck as he goes by, nearly crushing my little road racer beneath his 10 giant wheels because I wasn’t going 90 MPH and got in his way. Once I see the name, I’m like “Oh, it’s OK. That guy’s a wild thing and he deserves to own the road. Silly me.”

How about 'Haulin Ass'? I really saw one with that on it. I would think the driver would want to keep that personal fact about himself more or less a secret.

It’s even better to almost be run down by the ones that have stuff like ‘Have A Nice Day’ on the back. “Yeah, thanks buddy. I’m not crushed on the road so this day is nice so far.”

I think I’d name my truck ‘I Just About Got You’ because I feel like a target for them anyway. Might as well let people feel like they’ve managed to dodge a bullet for one day. Might make the other trials of the day seem like less of a hassle.

Or maybe I’d call it ‘Have Some Paint Chips’. That’s what your car gets once they’ve gone around you, swerved back in front of you and all those tires start throwing gravel onto your car. I like that one.

I don’t know. This trend we have going for naming everything maybe has gone too far. These are work trucks. They are huge heavy duty tools and we now are trying to make them cute or something. What’s next, they’ll start painting ads on them. It would be weird to almost get crushed by one and then see on the back as he’s passing by “Have A Coke And A Smile!” I guess if they had ads on them then the driver could subsidize his insurance premiums better. If they did that though, I think the driving would get even worse. Maybe I shouldn’t have put that idea out there. Forget I mentioned it.

6 comments:

peachy said...

I saw a truck on Sunday that said 'Sistah with Attitude.' I thought it was a girl and I was excited to see if I was right. It was a man. Maybe he's gay. hee hee.

Me said...

I figure it makes it easier to 'get their names' when you call the company and report them for illegal and unsafe driving.

;)

Just Me said...

We don't have trucks with names here, I feel so let down

grace said...

dump trucks have names on them????

Yankeebob said...

J - why would someone put their real name and the date they graduated on their truck? That's even weider than putting a strange label on the back.

Spit - I feel bad for you. All this free entertainment and you don't get to check it out.

Grace - Yep, they are putting names in big letters on the back of the trucks. I don't know why.

cat said...

we don't have names on our trucks either. what sort of crazy freakish place do you live, yb? :P